PDA

View Full Version : Gift recommendation for 4 year old?

nitaghei
08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for gifts for my niece. She turns 4 in September, and we have a holiday in late August, so I need 2 separate gifts, about $30 each. (My brother and SIL don't like extravagant gifts, so I do try to respect their wishes). She is definitely a girly girl (loves dolls, dress-up and pretty clothes). I'm not, and I'm at a loss for ideas.

One thought I had was playsilks. Another was just checking clearance racks, and putting together a little collection of costume jewelry, hair clips, hats and little purses. I'm not sure what kind of dolls she's into - but I like the look of Madeline (?) - and I think there are books, too? So a doll and a couple of books. The books will be a sop on my book-loving conscience (and for my SIL's, too! :))

Is 4 too old or too young for the Robert Sabuda pop-up books? I bought The Wizard of Oz as a gift, and I wanted to keep it so badly! :) I was thinking about "Alice in Wonderland" - it is one of my favorite childhood books, and I actually had 3 different editions, including a pop-up, but it wasn't anywhere near as cool as the Sabuda version.

TIA

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Hallie_D
08-11-2004, 03:02 PM
I love the idea of making a collection of costume jewelry and purses and hats. I am definitely not a girly-girl, never have been, but I loved playing dress-up as a child. And the Madeline books are wonderful. I'm not familiar with Robert Sabuda but four is not too old for pop-up books.

nitaghei
08-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks Hallie!

You should see the Sabuda books IRL - there's no point linking, though both Amazon and Overstock.com have them. I've NEVER seen pop-ups like this. They really are engineered and incredibly elaborate and detailed. If I hadn't seen one IRL, I wouldn't have believed it possible for pop-ups to be this beautiful. The man is a true artist. I'm definitely getting a copy of "Alice in Wonderland" for myself. It's highly unlikely that DS - or anyone else - will get within touching distance of this book ever, once I have it!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Hallie_D
08-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Now I'm intrigued--I love pop-ups and have a few of my own (that is--they are mine and I don't share them with little fingers!) but haven't looked for new ones in years. I'll have to go check them out IRL as you suggested!

August Mom
08-17-2004, 11:13 PM
When my niece was this age, one of her favorite gifts was a treasure box. It was painted pink with a ballerina on it. It had several drawers and a top that lifted. She could put whatever she wanted inside. I think she also got some jewelry and craft items (stickers, etc.).

I do think the dress up idea sounds fun. I'm sure she would love it.