PDA

View Full Version : Board/Card games......

muskiesusan
09-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Nick watched my nieces play checkers the other day and keeps asking to play games. I was thinking of getting him some for his birthday, but wasn't sure what would be appropriate. I see the Memory and Dominoes are for 3+, is this true? What other games would you suggest?

Thanks!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

August Mom
09-19-2004, 01:13 PM
DS is just over 2 and we have been playing Memory. I do a modified version. I only play with 1/4 - 1/2 of the cards. I separate them into 2 piles (with one of each pair in each pile). Then, I put out one stack of the cards face down just like you would in regular Memory. I keep the other pile in a stack and we take turns drawing the top card. Then, DS tries to find a match to the card drawn in the cards on the table. He can only turn one at a time. If he gets a match, his turn continues, just like in the regular game. He is really quite good. So, I think Nick could definitely handle the modified version if not the actual one. The other ones we play are Old MacDonald (where you try to find the matching baby animal sound to the sound the Mommy animal makes) - he would be old enough for this and Don't Wake Daddy. This one has cards. It is a color/counting game. It is really too advanced for DS, but we still play sometimes. HTH

mom2kandj
09-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Last night we played Hi Ho Cherry-o! DD's current favorites are HHC, Candyland, Memory and Pretty Princess. All of the above require no reading and only two of those require number recognition(1-4 on the spinner). We like memory but only use 1/2 the cards as they are hard to keep tidy. HHC and PP require minimal counting and are visually easy for the kids to understand. DD likes Candyland, but it is a bit long for me. HTH!

BTW, DS does not play(imagine Godzilla!), but loves to watch!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

macassi
09-29-2004, 12:47 AM
My 3 year old loves playing games with us since we play with his big brother. Games we enjoy:

Sequence for kids -- great game that both the 3 year old and the 6 old enjoy. My husband and I enjoy it too and it is a quick game. You lay pieces on the board based on animal cards you have in your hand and try to get 4 in a row. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Candyland -- a game my son loves, but frankly I get bored.

Chutes & Ladders -- an improvement over Candlyland, but not much, at least there are no cards to get lost around the house.

Old Macdonald -- he enjoys, but we don't play it much.

Memory -- we do the same thing a PP poster said, using only 1/4 of the deck or so. He is quite good.

Hi Ho Cherrio -- a really good game that teaches counting. It goes fast and is fun. There are small pieces, though.

Hungry Hippos -- by far my son's favorite game. We pretty much just attack the Hippos but he LOVES this game.

Sorry -- probably for older kids, but somewhat doable for the 4 year old when we play with my older son.

Don't Break the Ice -- another game my son loves. You build an ice wall and then pound out with a small hammer piece by piece. The person who breaks the ice, loses. I remember this game from my childhood, so I guess it leaves a lasting impression. He can also play this game by himself which is nice.

We also play with a lot of bigger puzzles. It's fun.

Oh and we have bigger wooden "dominos" (but they don't have the dots on them) that he builds trails with, for lack of a better term, and then watches them knock each other down.

mamahill
10-05-2004, 06:23 PM
I'd also suggest Connect Four. I see Nick's birthday was a few days ago, so Happy Birthday, and sorry I'm only seeing this now. I think Ainsleigh is going to get Connect Four for Christmas - she loves playing with it whenever she sees it at someone else's house (not correctly, mind you, but it's a start).

raynjen
10-06-2004, 02:58 AM
I second Connect 4. Noelle loves it. Though she doesn't understand the game yet she loves to make patterns with the checkers and then let them all tumble back into the box.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!