PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this used Thomas Train set?

bomomma
10-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Okay, I know NOTHING about Thomas trains and need a quick lesson.

I know this is going to sound odd, but I have a question for those of you who know something about Thomas trains. My son is going to be two this week and he suddenly has this incredible interest in the Thomas train table and set that is at our Toys R Us. I saw the prices and I was floored!

As I passed our local used baby consignment shop, I saw a train table in the window. The train table had seen better days, but was sturdy and had a neat picture on it. There were 27 pieces of assorted wooden track (she called it the "old" Thomas track) and 14 cars that were in VERY used condition. Some paint was worn off, but still very playable. There was also one draw bridge that raised and lowered with a lever and a quart sized baggie of people/trees/buildings, etc. She wanted $75 for the whole thing (table/track/cars). She said she'd take $65.

The price sounds great. My concern is over how the cars stand up over time. These are not really attractive to look at. The tracks have had some crayon abuse. But I can look past some of that. DO THE CARS STAND UP? These cars are not damaged other than looking as if they had been VERY played with (and one car had been chewed on)... by what I'm not exactly sure. All of the parts, wheels, faces, etc. are there.

If once the paint starts to go it peels and peels, I'll wait. If they are very durable toys, I'll throw caution to the wind and buy it.
Thanks for your advice.

Karen Best

kcenya
10-09-2004, 10:05 PM
I thought they were supposed to have a lifetime guarantee? I wonder if thomas would replace the worn trains. A friend of mine had one cheerfully replaced that her dog had gotten to. Has anyone had experience with that? My son is the same age as yours, so I don't have any answers, we're getting him the conductors figure eight set from amazon, and plan to add on slowly.

bomomma
10-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks! I'll ask if they'll replace the worn trains. I called the shop selling them and asked that they put them on hold for me. Five of the cars are metal/electric and are in wonderful shape.

Thanks again!
Bomomma

NancyP
10-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Hello,

I have had The wooden Thomas the train engines replaced in the past. Owen, who is now 5, had a Thomas engine that he carried everywhere he went. He actually used up 2 of them and we had them replaced. All you have to do is call or e-mail The Lerning Curve, Now called RC2, and they will replace it!! All of the parts have a 100% guarantee. Two years ago they were so busy that they didn't even want me to send them the old ones. They just send two brand new Thomas engines!

Here is the info:
You may call (800) 704-8697 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST, email us at [email protected], or you may write to:
Learning Curve International
1111 W. 22nd St.
Suite 320
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Attn: Consumer Customer Service Department
Please be patient with us. It could take up to 7 business days or so for an e-mail response, as we correspond with so many of our consumers. Thank you.

Good luck. I would snatch it up. My son started playing with Thomas trains when he was 2 and has played with it almost evryday since. He is now 5.

Nancy