PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation - Hairy Maclary

August Mom
10-12-2004, 01:26 AM
We just started reading Hairy Maclary books by Lynley Dodd. I highly recommend them! DS really likes them, laughs and points. They are very fun. Our favorite is Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack.

Thatchermom
10-12-2004, 01:35 PM
We thought we were the only ones! These are DS's all time favorites. He can recite all four that we have (as can we all!) It kills me that there are videos and things available in Europe, but not for our video systems. We received ours from a Scholastic grab box, had no idea what they were. Finding Lynley Dodd was worth the cost of the whole box! There are tons of books in the series, some that star the other characters like Slinki Malinki and Scarface Claw (DS's favorite character!) and a few of hers that are not Hairy - they are all wonderful. We are definitely Hairy crazed around here, I'm so glad someone else loves him, too!

For those looking for fun books, please check this New Zealand author out!

August Mom
10-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Have you found anyplace to get them inexpensively? We got ours from a Scholastic book deal too. I looked on-line and they are selling for around $22 a piece. There are a few paperback versions (which apparently have been discontinued) for $5-6.

nigele
10-13-2004, 03:15 PM
We love these, too! Ds's grandparents sent him a couple from England.

Thatchermom
10-13-2004, 08:00 PM
We have been able to read a number of them through our county library system. I had no idea they were so expensive online! Ebay has pretty much all softcover, too. I sent an email to a friend who runs a tiny bookstore to see if she can order them and how much. Are you looking for hardcover if they are available? I will let you know what she can tell me, she does ship all over and usually offers things at a great price.

There are all kinds of neat things available on ebay, puzzles, games and the like. I did read while trying to search them up that libraries all over New Zealand are having birthday celebrations for Hairy on Oct. 30. Wouldn't that be fun?!

kalebsmama
10-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Chanda, thanks for the recommendation! I stopped at our bookstore yesterday and they were sold out. They told me they could order the paperback for $5-6 (?) and the hardcover was $14-something on the one I was interested in. Do you want me to check prices on any others? It couldn't cost much for me to send to you, or I should be in Columbus in the next couple of weeks. (now that my car is insured!)

Kaleb's new favorites are Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and Chicka Chicka 1,2,3.

August Mom
10-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I would like the hardcover if possible, because I think DS would destroy the paperback versions. However, I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend $20+ per book. I tried our library and it only had 2 of these books, both of which we already own.

Celebrating Hairy's birthday would be fun, especially because we aren't very into Halloween.

August Mom
10-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Jan,

Thanks. I sent you an e-mail.

August Mom
10-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Jan's store didn't work out, so if your connection comes through, I would appreciate if you let me know. Thanks.

darby24
10-16-2004, 01:45 AM
Love Hairy Maclary as well, thanks for reminding me. One of the kids I used to take care of introduced me to Hairy years ago, of course that boy has now turned 13! Hairy Maclary's Bone was always my favourite.

And to add a current current favourite of my nephews - Frog in the Kitchen Sink, it's a board book but has lots of rhyming which is what Jay likes best. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1579390986/qid=1097901357/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-6609788-5191112