PDA

View Full Version : crayola twistables?

darby24
10-16-2004, 01:58 AM
Has anyone used the twistable crayons with their toddler/preschooler? My nephew is really into drawing lately and these looked interesting.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15030.jpg
They have a plastic cover so I don't think they would snap in half. Of course they're rather long although there is a shorter set that has an eraser on the one end (and therefore more expensive).

I was shopping today and had a close look, but didn't have the confidence to waste $6 on them. Experience anyone?

August Mom
10-16-2004, 04:30 AM
We have the shorter ones with the eraser. I wouldn't get them for a 2 year old. These crayons take a lot more pressure than a regular crayon to make a decent line. When DS uses them, he gets a very faint line. I think part of it is that he uses the edge of a crayon rather than the point. These are designed so that you need to use the point of the crayon. In general, I think these are really nice, but I think they are designed for older kids.

redhookmom
10-16-2004, 12:00 PM
My son, who is 5, uses these. He does not like regular crayons but will color with these. My son finds them more gratifying because the line is darker and it easier for him. Whereas my 2 year old does not like them. So, I guess it is easier for older kids b/c they get the right angle.

darby24
10-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Good to know before buying. They do look neat, but I'll hold off for now.

Thatchermom
10-16-2004, 07:39 PM
We have both - the eraser version is much harder than the regular. The regular version is very similar in texture to a regular crayon. They do break when abused, however, like banging them.

raynjen
10-17-2004, 08:08 PM
We have the short version, with the eraser. I got it when DD was about 2 1/2. She loves them! I like them for two reasons 1) they don't snap and 2) she can't 'peel' them (I was tired of little paper curls all over the place.

On the other hand, a friend of my who is an occupational therapist says that it is better for their writing skills to use the littlest crayon stubs...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!

Southerngirl75
10-21-2004, 09:16 AM
I haven't ever seen those but I did buy my daughter the Crayola washable craysons. They are the big fat crayons and they seem to work great. She hasn't broken one yet and she loves to color with them. She loves to color her colthes and the floor too and it comes right out!I think the fat crayons are better for children this age b/c they can grip them better.