PDA

View Full Version : Are there train sets where train doesn't fall off track at bottom of hill?

kristine_elen
10-16-2004, 07:01 PM
We don't own a train set but I can imagine a grandparent might want to get one for Jack for his b-day or Christmas. In all the models I've seen out and about (that is, at Barnes & Noble, the library and the science center), the trains always fall off the track at the bottom of the hill. Are there any sets out there were the train actually stays on the track and turns the corner and all that?
Thanks!

raynjen
10-17-2004, 08:28 PM
The fisher-price GeoTrax system works VERY well in this respect. We got the starter set when DD was barely 2 and she has enjoyed it since day 1. We have both this AND a wooden set and they get equal use. The GeoTrax system has the added advantage of the tracks staying together even when stepped on or pushed.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!

August Mom
10-18-2004, 09:15 PM
We have a Thomas set and the train does usually fall off at the bottom of the hill. However, that's what DS likes. He mostly pushes so that it crashes at the bottom. If I take it over the hill, I can make it without crashing, especially if the train isn't overly long.

AngelaS
10-20-2004, 04:10 PM
The trick to keeping it from falling off the track at the bottom of the hill is to NOT have a curve at the bottom. If you use one of the sharply curving pieces it'll pretty much always fall off and less often with one of the bigger/more gradual curves. If you have a straight piece leading off a hill it'll stay on. :D

In store displays, they always have the track on a train table and they HAVE to have tons of curves to make the track all fit on the table. If you build on the floor, you aren't so limited. (have I mentioned lately that I think train tables limit creativity??) :D

kristine_elen
10-21-2004, 06:08 PM
That's so interesting. I'd assumed we'd want a table b/c that's how I always see them, but you make a very good point.