PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a dollhouse, need input...

raynjen
10-18-2004, 04:38 AM
I did a search and it has been awhile since people discussed dollhouses. I'm hoping that those discussions mean that some of you have since bought and used them for awhile =)!

So, what are your favorite dollhouses and, more importantly, why? This is for DD for Christmas, so she will be 3 years 2 months. I'm looking for something to last until she is old enough to inherit my old dollhouse (about 4-5 more years.)

Truthfully I like the Fisher-Price line, but I want to hear about other people's experiences and why they like other lines (especially the wooden lines since these seem to have a huge following). If you like the Fisher-Price, which style do you have?

Thanks!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!

raynjen
10-22-2004, 07:09 PM
bump

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!

egoldber
10-22-2004, 10:15 PM
I got DD an older FisherPrice Loving Family dollhouse on eBay last year for $5. Its served its purpose. It has taught me that (at least for my DD), dollhouse play is all about the furniture and the dolls, NOT the house. The house only stores said furniture and dolls, LOL! The first thing she does is empty the house of all furniture and plays with the dolls outside the house.

This year for Hanukkah I am giving her a Brio/Plan wooden dollhouse that I picked up for a steal last year. I also have a ton of Brio wooden dollhouse furniture sets that I got at Tuesday Morning for a song. That will be her big gift this year. I peronsally prefer the look and style of the wooden houses and think they lend themselves to easier play. But its mainly a style preference for me.

But all in all, I think that kids like the FP dollhouse just fine. I really like the FP dolls themselves. Just remember that the house includes minimal furniture.

HTH,

Jeanne
10-24-2004, 12:05 AM
I have the Fisher Price Loving Family DH and both my girls play with it daily. Not sure how much longer my oldest will play with it. She's not much of a doll person. The main allure for both of them is all the parts and people. The bonus of Fisher Price is that it's super durable and safe for a younger child to play with. I have yet to see any pieces that are a choking hazard for younger ones. Claire chews on everything. That was a big factor for me as I didn't want to have to constantly police what my oldest was playing with.

It can be a pricey item mainly because you have to purchase the rooms of furniture separately. However, the house itself isn't that large and we only have 5 rooms which have proved to be enough. And recently, ToysRUs ran a special buy one, get one free so I picked up two more rooms for the price of one.

Several of my friends have beautiful wooden doll houses. Some even have their own from childhood. For some, it has been a very worthwhile investment, but for others, it's been a waste as their DD's don't have the same interest in them that they once did. Also, some of the wooden furniture is made with glazes that aren't conducive to chewing so that has been a problem for them with their younger ones.

I guess I would gauge your DD's interest. We've started to pick up a few of the Sweet Streets line and she's pretty enthused about them. They relate to what she now sees and does such as the School, and the County Fair with big ferris wheel, etc...

Mom2Katie
10-25-2004, 02:43 AM
We have a Melissa and Doug wooden dollhouse, and DD really loves it. She got it for her second birthday, so she was past the point of chewing on everything, and she really likes making the dolls talk to one another, describing what they're doing, etc. I think it was a worthwhile purchase, and I like that it's not plastic. :) We got a little overwhelmed with plastic stuff for a while there, and are on a serious no-plastic kick. :)

Phoebe
10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
My inlaws bought dd the Battatt one from Costco last year. It's 3 stories, tons of furniture, family of four. It's nice and cute, but I have to say my dd never plays with it. Maybe it's because it's on the floor of her playroom and not on a play/train table. I'd like to get a table but it would have to be big.

Here's what it looks like
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15830.jpg

Phoebe,
Susan 4/01
David 6/03