PDA

View Full Version : Wagons

newyearsmom
10-22-2004, 12:56 PM
I was thinking about getting a wagon for DS for birthday or Christmas and quickly looked online at different choices and realized there are so many to choose from! I don't really know what I am looking for... I guess something that will last for a long time and accomodate more children (we definitely want to have more kids). I saw seatbelts, rubber tires vs air tires, cupholders, storage compartments, metal vs plastic, etc. I really don't know what to look for so I thought I would ask for some help. A few years ago, I bought a Little Tykes wagon for my nieces that had this canopy shade thing that detached and turned into a table but I didn't see it on the toys r us website so I don't know if they make it anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks!

mom2kandj
10-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Things to consider when looking for a wagon:

1. What is your climate? Out here in SoCal it is quite sunny and I prefer plastic over metal as the metal gets significantly hotter and can cause burns. Sunny climates also require more sunshade or the ability to add a canopy, umbrella, etc.
2. What kind of terrain are you pulling over? Air tires are a must for the beach and do better over rough paths and grassy fields. Rubber tires are good for neighborhood walks and paved sidewalks. Hard plastic tires are noisy and just don't work for me!
3. Cupholders & storage. Cupholders on wagons are pretty small and usually can only hold sippies/cans of soda. OTOH, a storage compartment is useful for holding treasures, snacks and assorted other toddler junk!

Good luck on your search! BTW, here' a pic of our wagon with one side off to become a bench! (I am bummed that they came out with an air tire version of our wagon just a few months after we got ours! oh well!)

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15472.jpg

raynjen
10-23-2004, 10:46 AM
I have this one also and we like it (though honestly it doesn't get much use). We especially love the compartment (under Jack(?)) which holds several sodas/juice boxes/ice. I will say that this is one of the bulkier wagons out there. The downside is that is doesn't fit in any old trunk, the upside is that it has generously high sides and you can fit a child (or more) plus a lot of stuff. Our wagon serves for picnic/festival/Fourth of July type events and carries food, blankets, towels, kids, etc.

HTH
Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is three in two days, Noelle!