PDA

View Full Version : Schoenhut pianos

jfromer
11-27-2004, 10:14 PM
I was wondering whether anyone has any advice on whether it is worthwhile to purchase either the Schoenhut Baby Grand Piano or the Schoenhut Upright Spinet Piano for my 2-year-old DS, who loves to play an adult piano.

Thanks,
Jeannie

hc
12-03-2004, 11:30 PM
I am actually shopping for one for my son. Although he is only 9 months old, he already enjoys banging on my adult piano so I thought I would get him his own. I am considering either the Day Care Durable or the Traditional Deluxe Spinet. Can't decide which one though. They are both 37 keys. There is a small Schoenhut forum where you can post your question:

http://www.toypiano.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news

From what I have read from the board, the grand pianos are not as stable, has more of a crystalline sound whereas the uprights are more mellow toned. Also, they suggest getting the larger number of keys -- 37 keys. It should last longer since he can really learn to play until he transitions into adult size piano.

Hope that helps. By the way, do you know where to buy it at a good price? I've been shopping online and it looks like ababy.com or bargainpricewholesale.com has a good price. I would love to hear back on what you decided on. Good luck.

jfromer
12-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks for your response.

We had a number of issues that ultimately led us to choose the 25-key traditional upright spinet piano. First, we live in an apartment in Manhattan with limited space, so we decided that the baby grand pianos, which obviously have more depth, didn't make as much sense to buy. Second, I also learned that the uprights have a more robust sound. Third, we think that there is a reasonable chance we will get an adult piano at some point, in which case I am happy to spend a little less now for a piano with fewer keys, even though my son will outgrow it sooner than the bigger ones.

That said, the pianos you've named in your post look like the best deals in the abstract - better sound, stronger materials, and will grow with your son. I hope he enjoys whatever you choose.

I bought the piano at Platinum Galleria, which I found through Yahoo! Shopping. They have some of the cheapest prices on the pianos, but they charge a lot for shipping. All in all, it still ended up being cheaper than the other stores I looked at.