PDA

View Full Version : xpost - My first or regular leap pad?

Thatchermom
12-06-2004, 08:05 PM
I didn't have time to research before the Black Friday sales so I ended up buying both Leap Pad deals (regular and My First leap pads). Now I need to decide which to keep and which to return. DS turned three in September and has an astounding vocabulary yet no letter-recognition skills. He also started preschool in Sept. so we are hoping to add something to help. Honestly, so far both seem doable for him, he is able to follow instructions well and all that. We hope to use it during the many meetings he has to sit through with us and on airplane and train travel this summer. I was able to get a bunch of books for the My First cheap on BF, so for a while I was leaning there. But then I notice the My First doesn't have a headphone jack and the regular one does. Anything I should be looking at other than that?

luvbeinmama
12-06-2004, 11:45 PM
If you want to go for longevity, go with the regular Leap Pad. I got DS's when he was 3, too. That said, we just got DD the My First for her 2nd birthday and DS (now almost 5) likes playing with it too. So, I don't think you can lose either way, really. That probably wasn't much help. Oh, and since DD likes playing with the big leap pad, too... some of the books from the big one have been ripped. One because DS tryed to rip it out of her hands... one I think she ripped out, one she was standing on it and it ripped as she slipped a bit. So, just a warning that the big books rip easier than the My First books. I guess you can gauge it by how your DS treats his books. There is also a bigger variety of books with the bigger one. HTH a little, anyway.

babylu
12-07-2004, 12:10 AM
We have the My First Leappad and my nephew has the Leappad. Our main issue was that the books my toddler enjoys: Bob the Builder, Dora the Explorer, Jay Jay the Jet Plane and The Wiggles are only available in the My First Leappad. The Leappad definitely has more expansion but so far we have loved the My First Leappad for my 2.5 and 4 year old boys.

Hope that helps!

heidis2girls
12-10-2004, 03:17 PM
We have both for our girls who are now 3 and 5. They enjoy playing with both of them and swap back and forth. We have a good variety of books between the two and they love playing with them.

HTH!