PDA

View Full Version : Wow! READING!

raynjen
01-16-2005, 06:21 PM
I am sooo not ready for this (despite all the books, workbooks, online help, and conversations with friends) but Noelle is starting to read! I take absolutely no credit - we bought her the Leap Frog DVD's on a whim (learning letters, words, complex words, math) and now she is sounding out, AND understanding, 3 letter words!

A friend gave us the first four Bob books and she can read them!

I'm so afraid that I am going to screw her up somehow now (like that wasn't an issue before, but you know what I mean =).

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who just turned three, Noelle!

redhookmom
01-16-2005, 11:43 PM
That's cool, just plain cool. It is so fun to watch the lightbulbs going. Don't kid yourself not taking any credit. I know you have done lots. Those Leap Frog DVD's are amazing, they brought letter sounds all together for my son. I had been working on them for a quite some time and then after ONE viewing he had them cold.

wendmatt
01-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Congratulations to Noelle, that's so exciting.....of course you should take some credit too!!
ps what workbooks? I'm clueless as to how to help dd along the way. We read alot but I haven't done anything else, should I be out there getting some....You think you worry!

hjdong
01-18-2005, 06:05 PM
That's wonderful! Maybe I'll have to look at those leapfrog DVDs!

lukkykatt
01-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Jen that is wonderful! My son is also an early reader and I got lots of good advice in the Lounge, if you do a search (because I too felt a little overwhelmed).

Basically, I just let him proceed at his own pace. We go to the library alot, so I would try books at different levels to see what he liked. They have books labeled "Easy Reader" that are more interesting than the Bob books. Do you have a library near you that you can go to? Also the Dr. Seuss books like "Hop on Pop" are good.

Relax and have fun!

raynjen
01-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Well, I suppose "good" is a relative term... we have several libraries that are awsome if you are 19 year old airman interested in pursuing higher education, but not so much for the infant, toddler, pre-school, elmentary, etc. crowd. Luckily my husband doesn't quibble about price when it comes to books and Amazon ships to Okinawa! I am going to go ahead and order the full Bob set (we only have 5 that we were given) just because she gets such a sense of mastery from them. She just loves reading the whole thing herself. We have a LOT of the Dr. Suess books, but they have so many irregular words that she gets frustrated (as do I - I never learned phonics and this is very challenging for me) trying to read them.

I WAS going to wait to purchase our homeschooling program till next September, but we are going to order it as soon as the next paycheck hits the bank!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who just turned three, Noelle!

Phoebe
02-09-2005, 07:45 PM
I'd like to try one of the leap frog DVDs - is there one in particular you'd recommend to start with?

I should say that we have two leap frog toys that were gifts. One is a tree that you spin the alphabet around, and the other is a ball that spins and makes letter sounds. Actually, I think both toys are annoying and don't encourage creative play, so I didn't think I was too big of a leapfrog fan.

However, your DVD experience sounds intriguing.

Mary
Daisy 3
Owen 19 months