PDA

View Full Version : PBK kitchen sets...

spu
03-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Does anyone have one of the Pottery Barn Kids kitchens? Are they worth the investment? My girls (twins) are 2.9 years old... how long do you think kids play with pretend kitchens like that? Space is an issue for us which is why I like this kitchen - it seems well made and not too clunky. Any thoughts???

thanks!!
susan

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/superpower.gif

charlotte + else ... 2.9 years + still nursing like crazy!

http://lilypie.com/baby3/020720/0/9/0/-5/.png

parker10302
04-08-2005, 12:15 AM
The grandparents bought our DD her PBK kitchen set for her second birthday. She absolutely LOVES it. She's had it for six months, and still plays with it all the time. It's amazing what creative play comes from the kitchen! We have the stove, and the pie cabinet, no fridge. We also have the stainless utensils and pot and pan. The pot and pan are a little heavy, and make me a little nervous when we have friends over. We have a wood food set, and plastic plates and cups. All seem to be key ingredients to her play in the kitchen.

Hope that Helps!
Nicole

bjessen
07-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Probably too late for your purchase, but for anyone else out there...we bought PBK's Metro kitchen (blue set) when we moved into our new home 2 yrs ago (welcoming gift for the kids). I think it has been worth the investment. It is solid, but not clunky. Heavy enough to stand aggressive play, low enough not to topple on the kids if pulled on.

When we bought it my son had just been born and my daughter had been playing with a huge Little Tikes plastic kitchen I got off ebay real cheap a year prior while dh was deployed. My dh really wanted a wooden kitchen (he dislikes the look of the plastic ones), we liked the white PBK one, but didn't want to have pink on it for our son later. We also looked at the Land of Nod white one, but didn't like the refrigerator as much. We also liked that the Metro kitchen would blend in to our family room decor if we have to consolidate our playroom with our family room down the line (we are military and currently have space for a playroom, next home we will most likely be downsizing due to market prices in next state and not have a separate playroom).

We originally got the oven/sink center and the refrigerator. I like the pot rack...comes in hand for storage and looks cute (wish I had one). We purchased the stainless steel pots & pan from PBK and also a set from http://www.constplay.com/cgi-bin/constplay_cgi.sh/WService=constplay/constplay.com/family/product.htm?stateInfo=cBblblXeUphckGLc6409|5&dept_id=26&pf_id=CHN-20L&parent_id=0&call_prog=dept&page=1&qty=1,
though their's do have some smaller parts that you may want to take out till the kids get older (it also comes with a cute apron, oven mitt, and oven glove...lots of stuff for $29.99). Both the refrigerator and the oven/sink island have a lot of storage capability. I also like that 2 kids can play on either side of the Metro oven/sink island at the same time. The oven door opens out rather than down...which is nice as I have learned unfortunately with the dishwasher (bought for the kids last Christmas) that my now 2 yr old son likes to sit on the door when in the down position (though the hinges have not given in the least). Needless to say the oven door is better for the 2 and under set than the dishwasher door. The dishwasher was probably not good for our space requirements down the line, but the kids love it now and hold all their dishware in it. Plus the top of it holds the PBK appliances or cash register nicely.

Anyway, I love that it is gender neutral, durable, there is a magnetic refrigerator board for their artwork, and the color can blend in with adult decor (if it is casual). I am picky, so don't like when the paint chips...but only 2 or 3 minor spots where things banged really hard in 2 yrs...not too bad (plus you can paint match and touch it up)..it is a pretty durable finish. I originally wanted the Step 2 Lifestyle kitchen with all the sounds, but glad we didn't...more batteries and I think the kids use their imaginations more with this wooden set. It also is not too "babyish", so I could see them using this till 8 or 10 yrs as I have had kids that age come in the house and play with it. I think we'll have the PBK Metro for many years to come.

Oh, btw, if you sign up for the PBK registery...for a housewarming, birthday, or just because and the registery item is not bought by the event date...you can complete the registery yourself and get 10% off as a completion incentive. They also did a 20% off Friends and Family sale last year...if you have a store near you inquire when it is and get on their list, or keep checking in with (and become friends with) the store employees...I'm in our's periodically and they were kind enough to let me know about it ahead of time and give me a coupon.

Hope that helps someone...
Bridget