PDA

View Full Version : Special stool that toddlers stand in while helping in the kitchen?

lisajay
06-02-2005, 12:29 AM
I remember reading about some sort of step stool or something that toddlers could reach the counter top to "help" prepare meals or do dishes? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? They are supposedly safe so that the child can't tip out. Unfortunately I can't remember what they were called.
Thanks,
LJ

kalebsmama
06-02-2005, 01:31 PM
The Learning Tower! It's great! We use ours all the time. Try a search here and on the baby boards and you will find alot of info.

lisajay
06-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks so much that is exactly what I was looking for! How old are your dc that use this? Now to convince dh that we need one. LOL, Pretty soon he is going to cancel my internet subscription. I learn about to many neat things around here.
Thanks Again,
LJ

kalebsmama
06-03-2005, 02:38 PM
We got ours just before DS turned 2. DH was easy to convince because he was in the kitchen when DS fell off the chair he was standing on trying to "help" me cook. DH looked at me and said to go ahead and order one!

DS uses it the most. He plays playdough, colors, washes hands etc. He also loves to help bake cookies! Once DD was able to climb up onto it, she decided that it was great fun as a climbing toy. She gets up, down, up, down. She was standing on it one day - maybe 15-18 months and leaned too far over the edge and went down head-first. Luckily she wasn't hurt too badly - she ended up landing more on her side than on her head. We then moved it to a gated area of our kitchen so it only comes out under close supervision. Usually I don't even let her up there still at 20m since she still thinks it's a climbing toy and a means to pull eveything off the counter. So, I think it can depend on the child - hopefully DD will be better once she's a little older. We still have a couple of months until she's the age of DS when he started using it. We do call DD the Queen of Destruction since that is how she is! DS was never that bad!

Hope you can convince your DH! You'll love it!

lisajay
06-03-2005, 08:36 PM
I think I may wait awhile before I get this. I think it is such a wonderful idea. I just have to figure out where to store it when it isn't in use. Unfortunately we have a smallish sized kitchen. I had the perfect place for it until dh went out and bought me a dishwasher(for me, because I do all the dishes). Oh well, it might not be a bad trade off after all, no more dishpan hands. Great product though.
Thanks,
LJ

kalebsmama
06-03-2005, 10:19 PM
I can relate to the small kitchen problem! We actually were storing ours in the dining room and just moved it into the kitchen to use. It was in the DR when DD fell off it. Then, we moved it to our computer area just off the kitchen - it's gated since DD won't leave the computer alone! So, we still have to slide it over to use it but it isn't really that bad. We definitely can't keep it out in the kitchen - oh I wish I had a bigger kitchen!