PDA

View Full Version : At what age did you start using regular (NOT cardboard) books?

kozachka
07-11-2005, 02:49 PM
We are moving for a year and a half and I am wondering if I should bring the regular books with me. DS is just over 1.5 years old right now and I can't read those to him yet.

Hallie_D
07-11-2005, 03:29 PM
We've been using regular picture books since DS#1 was about 2, although he still likes some of his board books.

ett
07-12-2005, 01:52 PM
DS is currently 23 months. He started to be more interested in non-board books around 18 months. He is pretty rough on them and we've had several cases of torn pages, and broken bindings (and lots of wrinkled pages!). But for the most part he doesn't try to purposely rip pages out of books. He is starting to lose interest in some of his board books. If you were going to be away for 1 1/2 years, I would definitely bring regular books with you. Your DS may not be interested in them now, but he definitely will be in the next 1 1/2 years. Every child is different, but if it were me, I would bring 1/2 board and 1/2 regular books.

Good luck with your move.

HTH.

crl
07-15-2005, 05:11 AM
DS is interested in a mix of board and paper--just turned 2.

Good luck with the move!

August Mom
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I would say around 2. DS is almost 3 now and that's all we read.

kozachka
07-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Thank you, ladies. I've shipped a bunch of regular books and we'll bring some of DS' favorite board books as well. DS is interested in regular books but not yet at a point where he can 'read' them on his own without tearing off pages etc.