PDA

View Full Version : Seasonality is very annoying

elaine
09-10-2001, 03:14 PM
I've finally realized that seasons here in Southern California are just completely different than elsewhere, but I keep getting trapped by needing something that is just out of season.

When I was pregnant, I finally relented in mid-august, and was ready to buy those sleeveless mid-thigh maternity dresses they had been pushing on me since February. I went to the mall - and despite the 100 F highs, and the fact that it would REMAIN hot for at least another 3 months, all they had was long sleeved and wool. Arrgh! At least it saved me some money.

My daughter unexpectedly grew out of her sun hat in July. No problem, I thought; I'll just order the next size up. "I'm sorry," the saleslady said, "We've already cleared out all the summer clothes and are stocking up for fall." Of course, here in So CA, I need a sun hat for her _all year round_.

Now I want a sandbox. I only just realized, now that my daughter is 1, that a sandbox would be age-appropriate. And, I realized how much she'd enjoy it, and started fantasizing about sitting quietly under the tree reading a book while she played with her sand. (Okay, I'm dreaming!) So, we went to Toys R Us, ready to buy the cute turtle sandbox that we'd seen every time we went this year. No luck. I ask. "Oh, we're out for the season, and since they're a summer thing, we won't be reordering until next year." No doubt they'll arrive around March, just in time for the rainy season here.

So - you other parents out there - can you help me figure out what ELSE I'm going to want to purchase off-season? I've already figured out that I'd better stock up on long-sleeve 18mo shirts now for March.

Twinmommy
09-11-2001, 10:05 PM
We live in Florida, and have much of the same hot, sunny climate. Have you tried any online ordering for the items you desire? Toys 'R Us (at www.amazon.com) might have the sandboxes year round. Same with E-Toys, or even E-Bay. Another great spot for finding off season items is a baby consignment store. In my area, the consignment stores have a parent "wish list" if they don't carry the item you're looking for, and they will call you when one comes in. Regarding hats/clothing, you might consider buying two sizes of the items you need (one that fits now, and one larger), so it will carry you through the season and beyond, just in case your little one outgrows it. Hope this helps!

Jennifer
09-18-2001, 01:40 PM
I agree!!! I'm in Los Angeles and I'm having the same problems. I spent most of the past month looking for shorts for my son and could only find jeans and cords! I finally gave in and purchased jeans and cords figuring that when I want them, they'll have plenty of shorts!

Jennifer
10-16-2001, 11:52 PM
I ran into this problem last year trying to find blanket sleepers in February when our twins had a growth spurt. And we just put swings in a tree in our backyard and had to go to two area Toys R Us's to find two for our twins (bought one at each place). We were lucky.

sarsah
10-26-2001, 08:23 PM
My son is 17 months old and I have gotten in the habbit of buying his clothes at the end of the season on clearance and saving them for the next year. I save a ton of money this way and so far I've been pretty good at guessing the sizes. We just moved to Atlanta (from MI), so that has made things easier as he now wears a lot more short sleeves shirts and shorts. Some stores will allow you to return unworn items at any time if you have the receipt. Otherwise, you can always sell them at a consignment shop or on eBay and if you bought them cheaply enough, make a profit.

I think most of the national chains are on the same schedule for most of their stores. I have never understood clearancing out swimming pools & outdoor toys at the end of June!

Sarah....

Michelle
03-27-2002, 02:10 AM
Want to talk about annoying seasonality? We live in Phoenix, there is no such thing as winter - we have Summer for 6 months, Spring for 2 months, fall for 2 months and 2 of almost winter! It is March now, and we have already had a 90plus degree day! Anway, I have DS - 6yrs, DS - 2yrs, and DD - 7 months. I agree about resale/consignment shops. And if you are buying something at the beginning of the season, try buying it 1 size too big, especially if you're little one might be on the verge on a change in size. I actually put extra elastic in a couple pair of shorts last August for my son, as they were just slightly too big - now they fit great without the extra elastic. For hats, see if you can find anything "adjustable", similar to a baseball cap? And definitely try online. And if you have relatives out of state, encourage them to shop the end of season sales for things you need.

We wanted to buy the kids a wooden playset for Christmas (thought they'd really enjoy it, the weather is so great - checked TRU and Walmart - only sell them during the summer (you know, when it's WAY too hot to actually go outside unless you are getting into a pool?).

Good luck!
--michelle