PDA

View Full Version : Help! Any advice on wooden play/swing sets?

MarinaTwinMom
03-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Grandma wants to buy the kids a swingset for their birthday this summer, so DH and I have started to look for one.

We've decided that we don't want a metal one, because they just don't seem like they would last. There are a bunch of bad reviews on toysrus.com for the wooden ones that Toys 'R Us sells.

So right now, the leading contenders are one from Costco (at almost $1000 ... ouch!) or a Creative Playthings set from abcswingsets.com.

Any advice? If you have a wooden playset, what brand/style is it, and what do you like/dislike about it? Also, where did you find it?

AngelaS
03-13-2004, 11:59 AM
We have a CedarWorks set that my inlaws bought my girls. I LOVE it! :D Do a search for cedarworks and read my raves. LOL I'm starting to sound like a commercial! :D

Jeanne
03-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Several friends of ours have cedar and redwood sets purchased from the various play distributors. All seem to be happy with theirs. Just be sure to avoid pressure treated sets.

pamela mom of 3
03-15-2004, 12:29 PM
We have a wooden swingset, gosh it's been up almost 4yrs now..wow! times goes by ;)

Um, ours is by rainbow tho i think the biggest disadvantage would be cost, after that we're quite pleased with it, sturdy can take all the children and even friends plus offers things that the metal ones cannot like a tire swing, ramp etc.

I'm not familiar with the other brands, we did briefly look at the wooden sets TRU offered but they didn't seem to have the quality & since we at the time we bought had 2 children and another on the way we knew we needed long lasting and durable, we live rual so our playground is "our park" :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

lmintzer
03-27-2004, 03:49 PM
We also have a Cederworks set and love it. We've had it for almost a year. It looks none the worse for wear after its first winter.

The downside? Price. Man, these things are costly--even a touch more than the comparable Rainbow set. We went with Cederworks for Rainbow for 2 reasons: we didn't want to have to refinish or stain the wood (we're not handy project people and don't have much free time) AND we loved the "sure step" system, a series of "internal" platforms that toddler can use to climb to the top of the play house. These looked a lot more user-friendly than ladders for young toddlers. Now, ds #1 can climb a ladder, but since we have another baby, the platforms will get double use.

I think it's fine to go with a less expensive set, though I gree with the recommendation to not get chemically-treated wood sets if at all possible.

NelleinMD
04-01-2004, 11:22 PM
My son turned 2 in January and we got the Rainbow this past November -- a base Sunshine Castle plus a few options. I highly recommend the chain ladder option. It came down to Rainbow or Cedarworks, and Rainbow had a fantastic fall sale -- 40% off plus free accessories and 1/2 price installation -- so we were able to get a much nicer set than Cedarworks for the money. Also, there is a Rainbow showroom in our area, so we could actually try it out.

He loves the Rainbow, and learned to climb up the chain ladder within the first few tries. We also like that the set is large enough for us to get in the playhouse portion of it with him.

No regrets on springing for the Rainbow so far -- my son just loves it.

1sweetpea
04-14-2004, 06:03 PM
We actually got the Costco playset for $999...so far, we love it. Rainbow makes it, so you may want to check out their website or catalog if you have any questions regarding the durability, quality, etc.

We chose this one because we thought it was the most reasonably priced for what we wanted - 3 swing positions, rock wall, slide, ladder with hand rails, big fort, picnic table.

Good luck!

emmiem
04-14-2004, 06:57 PM
We have a Childlife set. In fact, it is 6 years old and looks better than most of our neighbor's swing sets. It is expensive but well worth the price. You can add on or replace things at any time.
Michele

jal
07-12-2004, 04:36 PM
What's wrong with a swing built from pressure treated lumber?

I know the old formula included arsnic and everyone considered that to be a health hazard, but I though the new formula they were using was supposed to be relatively safe.