PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Oxide...still safe?

raynjen
06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
I remember my mom used to put white zinc oxide on my nose and cheeks to give an extra layer of protection. I also remember colored zinc oxides coming out when I was in high-school...But for the life of me I can't find ANY zinc oxide now!

Is this something that has gone by the wayside? Did someone find out that it gives you lead poisoning? Or is this just one of the many products that I can't seem to find overseas?

Can anyone recommend something similar that I can put on DD's face? Her current sunscreen has been running into her eyes and irritating her.

Thanks in advance.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

hjdong
06-15-2004, 04:54 PM
The baby magic suncreen has titanium dioxide, which works in a similiar manner (sits on the skin) but does rub in more than zinc oxide. Since most diaper rash creams are zinc oxide, I can't imagine they aren't safe. If you really wanted zinc oxide, I might be tempted to do a trial with a diaper rash cream.

HTH

Jeanmick
06-29-2004, 07:45 PM
I just checked the ingredients listed on the tube of sunscreen I had in front of me after recommending it to supercalifragilous as a "Fragrance-free" sunscreen. The Mustela brand I use has 5% Zinc Oxide in it. HTH!