PDA

View Full Version : Ski Helmets

StantonHyde
10-15-2006, 04:47 PM
DS will start his second skiing season this year and since he is 4 he can start lessons. I need to buy him a ski helmet (and will probably buy myself one, too). Anybody out there have a favorite brand? His head is 20-21" so he has a fairly big noggin. My default store would be REI. Any suggestions appreciated.

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2006, 04:52 PM
I was just thinking about this today for my 4yo. This will be his 1st year skiing. I was going to look into whether his bicycle helmet would be OK.

Keeping my eye on this thread.

Beth

bubbaray
10-15-2006, 06:17 PM
My DH is a ski instructor (this will be DD's 1st season skiing, she's 2.5).

He says for beginning kids, a bike helmut is fine, but it will be cold. With real ski helmuts, you don't need a hat underneath....

We have no clue about brands yet -- we still haven't gotten DD's gear.

Have you checked out local ski swaps? They are great places for kids gear, b/c they grow so quickly.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

bcafe
10-15-2006, 07:54 PM
We have the toddler Giro for our 3 yr old. It covers her ears really well and it is soft inside so she doesn't need a hat under it. It has a google strap to hook her goggles onto the back, etc. You can find a good price online but we bought ours local. HTH

momofmany
10-16-2006, 12:42 AM
We are ski helmet wearers here (ds, dd, and I all wear them). I think they are so much safer than a bike helmet because they are really built to protect your entire head. The cover the back of the head all the way to the neck, cover the ears and come over the forehead. My good friends are ski patrol and emts and they recommend helmets. We also find them to be warm (hence no hats needed or at most an earband) and we like that there is a strap for goggles.

We purchased our locally. We liked the local ski store because I felt we got more individualized help and a better fit. They were also willing to to discount the price for us as well. It never hurts to ask.

Good luck!

StantonHyde
10-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I did a little bit more research and found 2 things:

1. Do NOT use a bike helmet--not built the same at all.

2. You have to try on the helmet with your goggles to make sure they both fit when you wear them together--e.g. if the helmet comes down too far and thus the goggles come down on DC's eyes etc.

So I will go to the local ski shop, too. In our town, we have several places that have a fabulous rental deal--where you "rent" skis for 10 years! YOu just trade them in every time you need a new pair of boots,skis, etc. It cost $300 up front. Totally worth it to us since both DCs will have to be skiiers if they want to see their parents. :-)