PDA

View Full Version : Safety Harness

mlandman
03-10-2003, 11:28 PM
We've decided to buy our 17 month old son one of those safety harness things, so he can walk with us safely and comfortably. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any brands and/or features to look for or stay away from? I'm thinking that the ones that go around his chest look safer and more comfortable than the ones that are just wrist straps, but would be interested in any actual experiences that you've had.

Denise and Alan, these don't seem to be discussed anywhere in the Toddler Bargains book. If they are, can you point me in the right direction and also to the relevant index entry? If not, you might want to consider it for the next edition.

wendy03060
04-15-2003, 01:15 PM
In my experience, the bracelet went over with the toddler much better than the harness. More of a piece of jewlery than a restraint in her mind, I guess. Folks all have their own opinions about these things (an believe me, you'll get comments!), but I really found it helpful to keep our two-year-old from wandering too far away. We still held her hand and talked to her about staying near us, but for the times we were distracted by the baby, it was truly a lifesaver.

JP4
05-23-2003, 02:08 PM
As a toddler, one of my sons was always wandering off and getting lost. (Actually, he still does that!). I tried one of the hand holder type things and it just didn't work for us at all. He would just lift his hand and slide or pull it off. I found it impossible to put it on tight enough. He also would pull away from me like young children do when they don't want you to hold their hands. I got one of the harnesses and it solved my problems. He didn't feel like his hand was restricted and I was holding on to his body, not just his arm. Since it closed in back he couldn't get it off. I think they work great in crowded situations and I plan to use it with my baby when he starts walking.

Dad2Dad
06-14-2003, 10:04 AM
. Here is a link:

http://www.4CoolKids.com/carriers/tether.html?gTetherSection=1&src=WP

It comes in four different designs, and the price is very reasonable for having a piece of mind. What I like is that my daughter likes it and sometime she doesn't want to get it off her (I have the elephant one). It is very well designed and very strong. The child cannot take it off by herself and the tail is securely attached and cannot be pulled off or cut. Also, the tail can be folded in the back-pack, and then she can use it as a backpack carrying her favorite toy or a snack.

I really like it and highly recommend it.

Sincerely,
Dad2Dad.

klcaper
08-15-2004, 01:33 PM
I saw a neat backpack safety harness (not coolkids one)at the airport on a toddler. It was red, blue, and yellow and had a good length leash on it. Does anyone have an idea what brand this might have been?

Klcaper