PDA

View Full Version : How Exactly Do Tot Loks Work/Gerber Cabinet Locks/Oven Locks

Chris
06-09-2004, 11:54 PM
OK, I've read through all of the posts I can find about cabinet and drawer locks. Same problem as everybody else-my child is a whiz at opening them despite the lousy Safety 1st ones I installed.

1) Can somebody explain to me how the Tot Loks work-ie, you need a key to open the cabinet each and every time? That seems like a lot of work on my part. Perhaps I don't understand how they work...

2) Also, somebody posted a reply to one of my previous posts recommending Gerber spring locked cabinet locks. Does anybody have any comments about their usefulness and do they work for drawers as well?

3) Can somebody recommend an oven lock that really works? I bought a Safety 1st one but so dislike their products I hate to even try it-

Thanks to all that respond.

raynjen
06-11-2004, 11:41 PM
I can answer to the Tot Locks, the 'key' is actually a magnet that releases the catch, not a key that you insert, turn, etc. So this is not a catch that can be manipulated or brute forced opened. In a pinch (i.e. if you lose your key) you could use a strong magnet from your fridge.

We have used these catches from Safety 1st (the only brand that is available here at our BX) http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=199 with good success.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

Chris
06-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds a little easier than I imagined.

JakesMom
06-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Hi!

I really wanted to use the Tot Loks, but my cabinet doors were too shallow for the screws included, and I was afraid to buy shorter ones on the off-chance they wouldn't work.

In our current apartment, I have settled for the self-adhesive latches and found them surprisingly durable (just be sure to follow the installation instructions). I got them at Right Start, but I'm pretty sure they're available in other places.

In terms of an oven lock, we haven't had much luck. I have resorted to keeping a roll of duct tape in my kitchen, and taping the oven door and fridge door shut. So far, my DS has not tried to undo the tape. The only caveat is that you have to stay in the kitchen when the oven is on (because I doubt it's safe to have the tape on when the oven or stove is on). So it's not a great long-term solution...

Good luck!
JT