PDA

View Full Version : balloons

elaine_l
09-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Anyone done ballons at a party? Am I better off renting a helium tank or buying "ready made"?

Jill
09-20-2002, 12:27 PM
I picked up a disposable helium tank at Sam's Club for $22. It came with a bag of multi-colored latex balloons. I used it for decorating at a Class reunion, so I bought specific colored balloons at Paper Warehouse. Paper Warehouse had the identical helium tank for $30. They also had mylar balloons and the skinny balloons to make balloon animals. If latex is an issue, it might be more cost effective to purchase the mylar balloons prefilled.

suzska
09-20-2002, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure, but I think that Target/Wal-Mart might also carry a tank like that. I never got one, but I know a friend use to get them somewhere like that for parties.

loomis1
11-16-2002, 02:38 PM
We bought a tank at Wal-Mart and extra balloons. The tank was $19 or $20. I think the up side to using a tank is that you don't have to transport dozens of filled balloons in your car. One less thing to go do before the party. Prices are pretty competitive otherwise.

elaine_l
08-25-2003, 11:21 PM
I ended up calling a local party store and buying 20 helium-filled balloons "premade," with ribbon strings. I got my choice of colors (I picked 4 different ones) and they cost 60 cents each, any quantity.

(They would deliver any number of balloons for a flat $10 additional, but I picked them up myself.)

It worked out great. For $12 my daughter got more balloons than she ever imagined, and the look on her face when I arrived home with them was priceless. We put them on the ceiling in the living room, and they made a nice 'forest' with all the ribbons hanging down. She screeched and ran and jumped and danced and played for an hour nonstop... until the guests arrived and she was a bit shy. :)

The guests liked them, too. It WAS kind of fun to play in the ribbons, and make the balloons bob up and down, and.... :)

cluelesswonder
02-11-2005, 09:56 AM
One caveat on the balloons whether picked up or DIY - the latex ones only last between 6-8 hours (employee at Party City let me into this secret). They actually will stay afloat for about 18 hours, but they start to lose the "shininess and fullness" at about 6-8 hours. I ended up ordering 3 dozen balloons from Party City for $3/dz - really cheap! I didn't have the time or space to spend a couple of hours blowing up helium balloons since we were doing a party at a food court where a kids concert was being held. I also bought a special extra large Sun mylar balloon for my daughter and tied it to her chair - she felt extra special! I did have some trouble fitting the balloons into the minivan though. I completely forgot how much space they would take up! Luckily my DD was asleep and didn't notice being surrounded by the balloons. After the party, each child ended up with a few balloons each and the rest came home to my DD's room. The ribbon forest was a great treat and she was so excited she jumped and danced around for about an hour afterwards -more excited than at the BD party!

This year, I may try to have them in her rooom for when she wakes up. Not sure how I can do that though timing wise.