PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT: Anybody else NOT doing a b-day party

hjdong
06-30-2005, 05:19 PM
DS's b-day is tomorrow and for a variety of reasons, we've decided not do do a "real" party - just me, DH, and him, cake, and presents. I actually felt pretty good about this until we were talking to him about how it was going to be his birthday and he started talking about his party. Of course, duh, he had been to so many birthday parties he just assumed he would get one as well.

Now, I still think I have good reasons for not having one (and please, I'm not trying to insulting the vast majority of people who have them, this is just what's right for my family; I enjoy birthday parties in general). But I'm feeling a little guilty that he might be disappointed in his birthday.

I'm actually really looking forward to giving him a party when he's old enough to look forward to it, to count down to it. Am I just attempting to justfying myself as being a bah humbug or will it really be more special if it's something he's waited for instead of expected?

I'm a bad mommy whose too lazy to give her son a birthday party. Bad mommy, bad.

August Mom
07-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I can't really contribute to the point of your post, but I just wanted to say "Happy Birthday." I hope it's been a great day.

MelissaTC
07-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Do what is in your heart. We have done one every year and this year was awesome. He was so looking forward to it and woke up on the day of his party with such excitement and happiness. It was very cool to see. We have also been to 5 birthday parties before his within the span of 6 weeks or so and he grew used to parties. As each one passed, he asked when it would be his turn.

Hope your little guy has/had a wonderful birthday, whatever you decide! :)

hjdong
07-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks. He only seemed to care that he had a three candle on his cake, which he got. Funny the things they get in there heads. The only thing I wished we had done differentlt was to go somewhere special. DH, who never had b-day parties growing up (not our plan, just his experience), planned to use the day for errand running, which caused a little tension. Once he got into the spirit, it was a good day.

Thanks again,

butrfly_22
01-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I say why not make the day your child was born a special day. Especially if you say he is asking about one. Being that he goes to parties and enjoys them why shouldn't he feel special that day by having a party thrown for him. You also say that you look forward to giving him a party when he is old enough to look forward to it, but it sounds like he already is looking forward to it. Everyday is just an ordinary day, so why not make them feel special on their special day.

nupe
06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
We didn't do a big bday party at home--just family. I have a whole different set of reasons that I won't go into here. DS did keep talking about his party.

In the end, I had a very nice bday party for DS at preschool--I got "3" and stars on each cupcake in red/blue (thomas colors) since no one could do a train design--only store bought cakes allowed at preschool! He loved the cupcakes. I had his music together teacher go in to his preschool and sing songs with his class. I had DS "help" me decorate buckets and fill them with a few toys for his friends. So he felt like he got his bday party, with all his school friends.