PDA

View Full Version : Lunch suggestions for upcoming 3rd BD Party

Mamma2004
05-07-2007, 03:23 PM
The last two years I have made myself crazy (while also really enjoying the preparation) and this year I would like to have a little less stress in getting ready for DS's party.

I don't want to spend time at the grill during the party so I am looking for nice options that I can make a day or two ahead. I really hope to *enjoy* the party this year.

I would love to hear your suggestions for lunch "entrees", sides, etc.

We are expecting around a dozen preschoolers and 25 adults. I love to cook and look forward to making everything myself...but it would be nice to make it before the day of the party!

TIA for your thoughts.

Stephanie

SnuggleBuggles
05-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I have never had such a large party. But, for past parties for ds we have had:
-chili (2 batches cooked by me and 3 additional batches provided by family), chips, dips, veggies, and homemade "tacquitos" (recipe derived from a pseudo Mexican restaurant in town than ds loves). The chili works well because you can do that ahead of time and then put it in the crock pot for later. We have hosted chili cook-offs at our Superbowl parties and that is a very handy way to get your guests to pitch in- just offer a good prize. :)
-sandwich stuff, fruit, veggies, pasta salad, potato salad
-pizza (a really easy option that usually goes over well)

You could do things like baked pasta (mac and cheese, lasagna...) since you can make them ahead of time.

I spend most of my food energy making elaborate cakes from Family Fun or Woman's Day.

I know what you mean about enjoying the process but wanting to simplify too. I already know the kid party this year will be cake and snacks only for the 1st time. Grown up (family) party? I'll probably go overboard again. :)

You can also look up food ideas on http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/
They have things broken down by theme and there are some really good food ideas on there.

Have fun!

Beth

kransden
05-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Ham and/or turkey.
Try
Ham - precooked and sliced at the grocery store, rolls, pasta salad - plus plain noodles, deviled eggs if you are fancy, veggie tray, chips and dips, and maybe a fruit tray/salad.
Everything can be made ahead of time, and there is a lot of variety for everyone.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

janeybwild
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Meatballs in the crockpot with buns for meatball subs :), nice big salad and a fruit salad?

JustMe
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I've done "make your own burritos". I made rice, beans, and bought salsa and guacamole (although you could make yourself if you want to, also bought lettuce, sour cream, chips, and cheese.

I've also done mac and cheese which is great because you can just put it in the oven the day of. I put broccoli in mine because I didnt want to do a salad (mostly didnt know how much salad to do).

Robyn

Mamma2004
05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions thus far.

We are planning to spend the day outdoors so the weather will definitely play a role. If the day is chilly, I'll probably opt to make some warm dishes such as baked pasta with veggies and cheeses. If the forecast is for a summery May day I'll plan to make cooler dishes (yet to be determined so please feel free to keep those ideas coming!!!!).

To any entrees I'll add salads, breads, a veggie platter with dip, a fruit platter, etc. I usually offer several dips (including hummus) and various cheeses so that guests are free to nibble as they wish, both before and after the cake is served!

I know the food is not the most important part of the day - it's just that I enjoy the opportunity to nourish loved ones and want to do so while really enjoying my son's special day.

Thank you!
Stephanie