PDA

View Full Version : Preschool thoughts? Must haves or must nots?

egoldber
08-23-2003, 10:36 PM
I just enrolled my DD in a local pre-school. She just turned two and it will be for 4 hours twice a week. I am wondering if there are items that are must haves (or things that are not a good idea) to have for pre-school. I sort of enrolled her at the last minute and honestly haven't given a lot of thought to what she will need!

Also, does anyone have any ideas about the best way to help her adjust? This will be the first time she's spent a significant amount of time away from me.

Thanks!

Jeanmick
08-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Hello!

My daughter is also two years old and will be starting a toddler/pre-preschool class in a couple of weeks. It's once a week for one hour (I'm impressed that your preschool will take 2 year olds twice a week for two hours each...wish I could find one like that). One thing you may want to do is to drive by on occasion, point out her school and talk it up. Another thing you may want to do is call and schedule an appointment w/ her teacher and have your DD visit before classes start. My DD and I went a week ago to visit the classroom and talk to her teacher and now she's REALLY excited! I also taped a "Blue's Clues" program a couple of weeks ago that dealt w/ one of the characters going to school for the first time. My DD has been watching it every so often and since she loves Blue's Clues, it's been really helpful. We've also gone to the store and together we picked out a lunchbox that she'll be bringing each time. I haven't done this yet, but next week, I'm going to start reading a couple of picture books that deal w/ going to school for the first time.

Hope this helps you.

egoldber
08-31-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks, that was very helpful!

What books do you have that talk about going to school for the first time?

Thanks!

Jeanmick
09-01-2003, 02:03 PM
I haven't had a chance to go to the bookstore to check out their selection, but when I do (I'm going this week) and I see something that looks interesting, I'll be sure to let you know. I know that the "Berenstein Bears" series has a book on the first day and Blue's Clues has something on going to school. Other than that, I don't know.

Edited to add:

Here are some books you may be interested in:

AT PRESCHOOL WITH TEDDY BEAR, by Jacqueline McQuade (my DD likes this one...just got it yesterday...it's a boardbook with a simple story)
BLUE GOES TO SCHOOL (saw this for sale in paperback at the TRU for 3.99; forgot that my DD already had this in a hardback book collection of Blue's Clues books she got for Christmas...it's pretty good too)
WHAT TO EXPECT IN PRESCHOOL by Heidi Murkoff (didn't buy this one since I already had a couple of books for my DD)

At TRU, they're also selling the video of that Blue's Clues episode I taped on TV, called "Blue Takes you to School."

Hope this helps.

egoldber
09-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks! I actually went to Barnes and Noble today and found a few. I was tyring to finds ones that were aimed at preschool as opposed to "real" school (no tests, no riding the school bus)

Barney and Baby Bop Go to School: BabyBop goes to preschool for the day. I know a lot of people don't like Barney, but Sarah adores him. Anyway this is a paperback ($3.99?) and I liked it because it had real pixtures, not just drawings.

Miffy Goes to School: Again, Miffy is a fav character of hers. Very sweet and simple.

Spot Goes to School: They had this in a paperback and board book. I got the board book because the others are paperback, but I may return this one.

There also had a Clifford Goes to School and a couple from the Arthur series, but DD isn't into either of those, so we skipped them. She's also not a Blue fan (he scares her for some reason).

I also read about a book on-line today called "The Kissing Hand" about going to school. It sounds really sweet, but I'm not sure I could read it to her without choking up, so I'm not sure that's a good thing!!!

I may try to find the Murkoff book.

Thanks!

Jeanmick
09-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Beth,

The Barney and Baby Bop looks intriguing...my DD has the one for a visit to the doctor and it has a similar format (real pix). DD is not really a Barney fan, but loves any kind of book.

DD starts her school next Tuesday...she's very excited. We'll see what happens when the day actually arrives. How's your DD taking it? Hope all goes well for you. :)

egoldber
09-05-2003, 03:13 PM
My DD also starts school next Tuesday! We wen today for "Meet the Teacher" day. We went to her classroom and played for about an hour this morning.

She adored the room. There were so many things for them to do. And the teacher (and two assistants) were very nice. Very young and perky. :) Sarah have one assistant a hug before we left so that was a good sign. They also said to go ahead and bring her lovey blankie and not worry about it. They said there are usually 2-3 kids in the class with comfort items and it wasn't a big deal. So that made me feel better.

I need to label all her clothes, her bag and stuff with her name this weekend. Eeks! I can't believe its so soon!!

momathome
09-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Hi, Beth!
Just wanted to wish you and Sarah luck on your first big school venture! Kasey's first day was last Thurday, also in a 2 year-old toddler program, and she loved it. No hesitaion, no problem with my leaving her, piece of cake!!! When we asked her if her teacher was nice, she said, and I quote, "She was not bad, not bad at all!" Spoken like a 2 year-old! Good luck!
-Lauren

lukkykatt
09-07-2003, 08:58 PM
What a relief - I'm so glad she liked it! So what are you doing with all your free time now? :)

momathome
09-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi, Andrea!
Well, the first day I dropped her off was hard (on me, not her!). I did take a little time for myself and went to CVS and then to a convenience store to treat myself to a cream cheese-filled pretzel for breakfast - quite healthy, I know! I then checked the message boards guilt-free and then went and picked up my baby. I think this Tuesday I may try to go shopping for a dress to wear to an upcoming wedding and maybe get my hair cut on Thursday. See how quickly I use all my free time?!?!? Take care!
-Lauren

egoldber
09-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Hi all! Just wanted to let you know that Sarah's first day was a big success! Only minimal crying, but then another mom comforted me and told me it would be OK, LOL!! :) Seriously, she didn't shed a tear when I said good-bye. She was happy to see me when I came and got her, but gave the teacher a big hug when she left. A resounding success!!

sugarsnappea
09-10-2003, 07:16 AM
Beth,
I was just going to post and ask how the first day went. I am happy that you both survived! Congrats! :)

atlbaby
09-10-2003, 11:02 AM
I'm so glad Sarah enjoyed herself and wasn't sad when you left! Now you can have fun on your mornings off knowing that she's having a wonderful time too!:)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2 EDD 10/24/03:)

Jeanmick
09-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Glad things went well the first day. My DD's first day went well too! Went straight to play and felt right home. Never missed me! A neat thing her teacher did a few days before school was to send a card to each of her students asking them to bring their favorite teddy bear w/ them on the first day. We read her note each night before bed and talked about which one of her bears she wanted to bring to school. I guess the first day was themed around bears, 'cause DD said they read "Brown Bear, Brown Bear." How fun! I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall!

egoldber
09-11-2003, 08:34 AM
FYI, I just dropped Sarah off for her second day of school. When I said it was time to go to school, she ran to the front door yelling "Go! Go! Go!" When we got to her room, she ran in with barely a backwards glance at me! I guess she had a good time on Tuesday. :)

joyce
01-05-2004, 03:21 AM
hi!i think watching BARNEY'S & FRIENDS is also very fun and educational.my 3 yr.old son carl enjoys watching a particular video over and over again!BLUE'S CLUES is also a favorite of my son.i also bought the book WHAT TO EXPECT IN PRESCHOOL,it really did helped me and i hope it will to you!