PDA

View Full Version : When did your child start attending preschool programs?

Lucia
05-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Just curious to know for the future. Did your child start by attending each day for a short period of time or go for full day a few days each week? And how did you find a program that you liked?

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

brubeck
05-24-2004, 08:09 PM
I started taking DD to Parent/Child preschool shortly after she turned 2. We wen to the school run through our local Park & Rec. It was 2 days a week, 3 hours a day but since I was with her this wasn't too much.

She started attending all by herself when she turned 3 and was potty trained. She now goes for 2 hours, 45 minutes twice a week, and is going to move up to 4 hours, 15 minutes twice a week (over lunch!) for pre-K in the Fall.

If you're nervous, definitely try a Parent/Child class first.

Momof3Labs
05-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Every area is different - around here, I can't find anything (that isn't daycare) for a child under 2.5 years old (and that is scarce). Almost all of our local classes require the child to be 3 years old AND potty trained (or in pull-ups, but they won't change the diapers).

So, next spring we're going to try to get into the preschool for 2.5 year olds through the park district (the only one around for kids under 3 years old); it is 2 or 3 days a week for 2-3 hours at a time.

egoldber
05-24-2004, 09:58 PM
I started sending DD when she was 2. She was in a "Younger 2's Class" this year, which meant the kids were 18-26 months by September 30th. Kids 27-36 months were in an "Older 2's class". The preschool had options of 2, 3 or 5 days a week for 2 year olds, but I only sent DD for two mornings a week. The preschool hours are from 9-1 and does not require potty training at any age.

Next year, she will go three days a week (still 9-1) and be in a 3 year old class.

I have been told (don't know if its actually true or not), that places that are not also licensed for child care usually require potty training, since that is a different licensing requirement. In the case of DD's preschool, I would say about 1/3 of her class is there for all day child care, where preschool is part of their day. The other 2/3 of the kids are just there for the preschool hours of 9-1. The preschool is taught by a teacher who has a degree in early childhood education and is not responsible for the child care portion of the day.

And around here, preschool for children age 2 and up seems to be readily available. But most people I know did not send their kids to preschool until they were 3.

HTH,

atlbaby
05-24-2004, 10:43 PM
I began taking Arielle to Parent/Toddler programs when she was 14 months old (January of 2003). I took her to one at the our town's recreational center once a week for 45 minutes, and one at a preschool once a week. The first one at the preschool that I did was more of a music class with a bit of story time and snack at the end since it was for younger toddlers (14-28 months). Last summer she was old enough to go to the regular Parent/Toddler class, that runs for 1.5 hours and is an abridged form of the school's preschool day. It's for 16-34 month olds, and I did it all this year as well. This summer and fall I'll send her to her first seperated preschool program, which will be 5 days a week from 9-1.

As for how I found these programs, I basically just asked around. There are a lot of preschools in my area but the one I chose is actually across the street so that made it a bit easier for me. :) I briefly considered sending Arielle to a seperated program this spring (she'd have been in the younger 2s) but for some odd reason it's only in the afternoon, and it would run into her naptime. But most of the parents around here send their kids to some seperated program for a few hours once they turn two.

Hope this helps!
-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

pamela mom of 3
05-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Actually mine never have, my girls started into senior Kindergarten when they were 5 1/2yrs and 4 1/2yrs...different birthday months so different ages for meeting the 5yo by december cut-off.

Our local school does offer a junior kindergarten but not till a child is 4yrs either or will be at the lastest by december..ds won't be 4 till Jan next year so he misses the cut-off for JK this fall but i will just wait like i did with the girls till the following year so September 06 is when he'll go to school :)

Oh and our school system offers full day kindergarten every other day and alternate fridays.

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

BethinMass
05-27-2004, 09:03 AM
We're starting this September with my daughter. It's an intown preschool program. It's for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Since kindergarden is 5 days a week here, I thought this would get her used to not being at home every day.

While my daughter will be 4, I think that this program can be used for 3 and 4 year olds.

Only thing I wasn't prepared for is that you need to get in these programs up to a year in advance. I started looking in January and almost missed the cut off time to sign up :(. So it's never too early to start looking around and think about what you want to do.

StaceyKim
06-06-2004, 09:31 PM
There are a couple of nursery schools in my town that start at 2 years old. They are classes with a parent/caregiver. I have my DS on the waiting list for next year. It is a couple days a week for less than 2 hours per session.

redhookmom
06-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Hi Lucia,

I started my son when he was 3. It was a 3 day am class. He went for almost 2 months and then we decided to take him out. He didn't actually have trouble physically seperating from us but he just wasn't quite ready for the social demands. There was so much going on there and he prefers things to be quiet.

This year he was 4 and we tried again. He LOVES it. It is a 3 day AM class as well.

My DD will be 2 in August and she is going to go to a 2 day AM class. I do not forsee and problems with her. She is just so different from her brother.

Besides talking to other Moms go check out the programs and think about the temperment of your child. For me it was hard b/c I had my fav but knew it was not the best place for my ds.

Melanie
06-10-2004, 11:57 AM
"I have been told (don't know if its actually true or not), that places that are not also licensed for child care usually require potty training, since that is a different licensing requirement."

I heard one preschool here, say that. However another said it's illegal to say that b/c of Disabilities laws and they do, do diapers. Neither are daycare-type schools.

I'm pondering Ds going to preschool this fall. He turns 3 in November. He's on the list if I should decide, but I can't. We've never been separated and there is no way I'm leaving him bawling for me. So, we'll see. He's on another list for next Fall, too. I guess for us, it boils down to the school I *really* want him to go to we can't afford, so I am hesitant for him to go to others knowing they aren't what the one I want, is. In the meantime, we are still going to parent & me classes.

workaholic
06-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Cooper just started Playschool 2 weeks ago. He just turned two and loves it. For some reason at church he cries when I leave him but he runs right in to his playschool class and doesn't look back. He even hates leaving. Go figure. I just thought it was time for him to learn to play with other kids. Being around myself and my sister-in-law was making him a little BOSSY.

Aimee Larsen
Momma to Cooper
Crossing fingers for another...
Owner: Ella-Bags

kaitlinsmommy
06-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Kaitlin will go to Mom's Day Out at a preschool next year (she turns 2 in Dec.). She will go one day/week from 9 am-2 pm, although the last two hours is naptime so I may pick her up before then as she already quit napping.

It is CRAZY in Dallas with regard to schools. People have their kids interview for preschools when they're 2 & pay thousands (7 or8) for special montessori schools. We're, um, not going that route and it was hard to even find a place where we could just do one day a week.

Melanie
06-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Yeah, the school we want is $6600 for a 3 morning program. =(

Anyway, one thing they mentioned to us is that even non-nappers may want to nap after school b/c they'll be exhausted from a morning of toddler-negotiations.

mom2kandj
06-16-2004, 12:58 AM
The Montessori that we were looking at for DD is $525 per month for 3 half days. (Talk about schmancy, when we went to observe, I noticed 3 toddlers in head to toe Baby Lulu and there was my DH in Target play clothes!) DH really wants her to go there, but she attended a Lutheran preschool this spring and will likely continue there 3 half days per week at $210 per month.

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

Melanie
06-16-2004, 01:06 AM
Ours is a Waldorf school...Dh also really wants Ds go to there, but I would have to go to work full time and have him there 50 hours a week, so it's not going to happen. Hopefully the good preschool with the worded labels on everything piece of equipment in the place won't mess him up for life. ;-)

kaitlinsmommy
06-16-2004, 11:59 PM
I don't know anything about Waldorf schools, except a dear friend of mine visited one and I think she loved it.

The woman at our preschool also told me that kids often go with the naps b/c the other kids are doing it. I'm definitely going to try to have her nap there but she's a big sleep fighter & I'm not so sure it will work.

Good luck making your decision. I know it is a hard one.

Sarah1
06-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Audrey turns 2 in November, and this fall we are starting a parent/toddler class at the preschool affiliated w/our synagogue, which is where we want her to attend preschool. It's twice a week, each class is an hour & 15 minutes in length, and the tuition (I have to laugh calling this tuition) is about $800 for the year.

Because we are taking the parent/toddler class, this gives us priority for the next stage of preschool (they have a program for 2 1/2 year olds, and another for 3 year olds). As someone else mentioned, it's a little ridiculous how fast some of these schools can fill up. We registered for this class (which starts in mid-September) in February, and it was completely full by mid-March. It definitely isn't too early to start asking around about preschools.

cchavez
07-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Diego is only 14.5 months so I realy had not been thinking of preschool but was considering Mother's Day Out when #2 comes along....which will not be for awhile since we are not even TTC. But I want D to continue socializing with other kids b/c right now we do The Little Gym, play group and various other play dates through out the week. However, I just found out that a Creme de la Creme preschool is opening down the street from our house!!! I know it is super expensive and I chose to quit working b/c DH and I strongly believe that having a parent at home when a child is young is extremely beneficial but as a parent you want your child to have every advantage.......does that mean a super expensive preschool??? I don't know if they have parent/toddler classes there that sounds like a great alternative for the time being. BTW, D hates being away from me....so separation would be big issue. He hates when I leave him at the nursery at my fitness center but he has to learn to be away from mommy even if it is only a short while. So I think he would just be in tears if I left him at preschool but EVENTUALLY he would get used to it. :)

egoldber
07-13-2004, 08:38 AM
I think you might be surprised Christine. Sarah is very clingy, but she has loved preschool from day 1. The atmosphere is very different and the teachewrs are trained to help kids transition away from being at home.

And in my book, a super expensive preschool does not equal better. I have very definite views of what makes a good school. Most important to me are age appropriate play and warm, caring teachers. Neither of those are expensive. In fact, I don't like many expensive programs because they often are filled with programs that are catered to appeal to parents, not what is most appropriate for the children.

HTH,