PDA

View Full Version : Planning Ahead for 2's Program

jk3
10-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Apparently most of the programs for NEXT September are already full since there are not a ton of options for two year olds in our area. At this point, I've researched some schools and will visit a few in the next week or so. I'm having a hard time deciding which program to choose. The programs in this area are pretty similar so timing is the major factor at the moment.

How can I predict if my DS will do better in a morning or afternoon program? At this point his napping schedule is entirely erratic. If I return to my teaching job in September (which is the plan though I'm sort of in denial but that's another post) I think I'd like him to be in a program for 5 mornings or afternoons since I think he'll do better with other children than at home all day with a nanny. It's really difficult to envision my DS a full year older so I'm having a difficult time making decisions now for next year. Any advice?

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Lynnie
11-04-2004, 12:58 PM
I think the mornings would be better, because then he can start out fresh after a good night's sleep, get ready to go to school while mommy gets ready to go to work, play all morning and use up a lot of energy, then eat lunch (either at home or school) and then nap.

my 2 1/2 year old has been in "school" since he was 6 months, and he just loves it. If I didn't work full time, and if it were closer to home (it is right across the street from work) then I would have him in only mornings, because in the afternoon, he really just eats, then takes a nap lasting until anywhere from 2 to 3:30, then has a snack before they go outside for playtime, at which time I pick him up (between 4 and 4:30) So really, he gets the most out of it during the morning. And being with other kids has been wonderful - EXCEPT for all the germs he has gotten, which I suppose he would have gotten anyway when he started school at whatever age. But he is so social and outgoing, and has been exposed to all kind of different kids, which i think is great.

and i am very pro schools for toddlers. although it absolutely broke my heart when he started, and I am keeping my second child home with a nanny until she leaves :-( in january when he is 9 months old, I am really glad he is there now. He just loves it, he and his friends know each other, hug each other, etc. He does so many crafts that I might not do, and that the nanny almost certainly wouldn't, he is learning Spanish, as one of the teachers in each class only speaks spanish to the kids, and often he doesn't want to leave. I never considered keeping him home with the baby and the nanny because he likes it so much. Of course if I could find a place I liked as much within walking distance to the house, I probably would do mornings only and then have nanny and baby#2 walk to pick him up.

sorry so long..... it is my lunch hour and i have time to kill !

Sarah1
11-12-2004, 08:21 AM
I agree with the PP that mornings would probably be better.

I still have a hard time believing how far in advance you have to think about preschools. Audrey and I started a parent/tot class at a preschool I love, and registration for next year started two weeks ago and already there's a buzz about how they may have to turn people away for the 2 1/2 yr old program next fall. Argh....it's ridiculous.

jk3
11-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks! We opted for mornings. Most of the programs in our area are completely full for next September. It is crazy. Though there are lots of programs, there are few spaces for 2's so they fill up extremely early.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

StaceyKim
12-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Sarah,
Where is Audrey at School?
We just got Michael into pre-school (it's a mom & tot) for 2 days for 2 hours each class. I am so psyched! There was literally ONE spot open for a boy. My DH had to camp out outside the school at 2am till 8am to start waiting in line. It was crazy! Siblings of kids in the school have priority first.