PDA

View Full Version : How much does preschool interupt your day?

muskiesusan
01-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I hope that doesn't sound selfish, but I didn't know how else to word it! I am trying to decide on what preschool to send Nick to next year, and really like the Montessori school near us. The only thing holding me back is that it is a 5 day program. I am worried that the 3 hours he would be there would be just short enough to prohibit me from doing anything productive in the morning and our afternoons would be spent on naps. Factor in bedtimes, I don't know when I would do errands, have playdates, etc.

I have looked at 3 day, traditional preschools, but the ones around us are very structured, and I don't want Nick sitting at a desk just yet. But on the other hand, I hate for our days to be tied down by school (both he and I greatly benefit from visiting friends, lol).

Thanks for your insights!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

egoldber
01-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Sarah is in a 4 hour program and I love it. I think that 4 hours is perfect for *me* LOL and she has had absolutely no problems with it. This year its 3 days a week, but next year she will be in a 5 day a week program, because that is all her preschool offers for 4 year olds. (EEK! She will be FOUR soon!)

But to answer your question, her preschool is quite close to my house (about 3 miles away) and I fin that the 4 hour time allows me to work out, shower AND also run an errand or two. If it were 3 hours long, I could really only run 1 errand and thats it.

When we started out, I was concerned that 4 hours was too long, but I think I would find less time to be rather disruptive.

And do they really have them sitting at desks in preschool???? Sarah's is a "traditional" school and they have tables, but the tables are mainly used for art projects and meal times.

HTH,

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Any preschool would be about 5 miles away but by the time I get out of the neighborhood etc... it would be 10-15 minutes...then the chit chat to teachers and freinds there and I would feel like the second I got home I'd have to turn around and the boys.

Also I have heard many of our local school do things "with parents"...so it appears you are getting some special "invite" to come to the school to particpate with your child and well then you're watching your child...

I have to say unless it was 4 hours I know it would not interest me in the least...
Just wanted to chime in that your thoughts are mine exactly!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (22 months) and baby girl Bronwyn on the way due March 19th!!!!

muskiesusan
02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
"And do they really have them sitting at desks in preschool???? Sarah's is a "traditional" school and they have tables, but the tables are mainly used for art projects and meal times."

Yes, a couple of the ones I went to did! I couldn't believe my eyes. For the most part, the preschools around me are either too structured, too religious, or too much like a daycare. I didn't know this decision would be so hard!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

muskiesusan
02-07-2005, 07:03 PM
That's exactly how I feel. The montessori school I am leaning towards meets the kids at the car, so I wouldn't get trapped in conversation. I am still worried about feeling like I am just carting Alex around all day in the car, however.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04