PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics class for toddler- Little Gym vs a "real" gym

cdlamis
03-29-2005, 04:35 PM
(cross post from Toddler Board)
I am trying to find a gymnastics class for Julia to start when she is 3 years old (the normal age when a toddler can join a class wo/ parent). Has anyone signed up for gymnastics classes? What should I look for? My choices are My Little Gym which offers weekly tumbling classes for 3-4 yr olds and the "regular, real" gyms that only focus on gymnastics. Are there differences between the two?

Our goal is for Julia to have a good time, get some fitness time and meet some friends. We are NOT looking for the next Mary Lou Retton. Any suggestions? TIA~

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
and Isabella 12-18-04
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
and Isabella 12-18-04

RhondaSue
03-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Hi Daniella,
My dd is 3 years old and has taken both My Gym classes (akin to Little Gym?) when she was younger and is currently taking gymnastics classes at the local Y. Our preference would be for her to keep taking classes at My Gym, she really loves it and is lukewarm about the Y, but unfortunately we recently moved and don't have local access to a My Gym center. In my opinion, the difference is that My Gym focuses on the children having fun and the Y focuses on teaching the gymnastics basics.

You may be able to audit a class before you choose either one, I know our My Gym offered that alternative. Good luck and hope that helps!

Lisa_Seattle_2002
04-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Zoe started Little Gym at 2.5 as a "Superbeast" and we have LOVED it! Next session she will be in the 3s ("Funnybugs") class where parents don't participate - just watch from the lobby. Little Gym focuses a lot on social skills development as well as gross motor skills - i.e. standing in line, listening & following directions, taking risks, trying their best, etc. I really like the philosophy and the teachers are great. I think the risk of a "real gymnastics" class for a preschooler is that the environment may be too competitive or that the instructor may not be as in-tune with the kids' emotional / social developmental needs as with the physical. I recommend Little Gym without reservation.
HTH,
Lisa
mom to Zoe 7/16/02