PDA

View Full Version : General feeling on tracing letters for preschoolers?

jadamom
05-30-2005, 08:56 AM
(X-posted on Baby Bargains Lounge)

I got some preschool workbooks for DD (age 3 1/2), and they all seem to have pages and pages of tracing the letters of the alphabet. So far we have skipped those pages and just named the letters instead, because I think it's too difficult for her right now and I don't want her to get frustrated with it. Also, I've heard that it's not a good idea for parents to teach kids how to write letters cuz teachers complain that if kids get in the habit of writing their letters the wrong way, it's difficult to correct them later on (similar to Driver's Ed). Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? Do you teach your kids to write their letters or wait until school?

sarsah
06-01-2005, 07:35 PM
First, I would suggest that you find out what kind of handwriting your school district uses. In GA, they teach the D'Nealian method (it's the fancy looking printing with the tails on all the letters, rather than the block printing that I learned way back when in Michigan).

If you use workbooks that have the same handwritting method, it should be fine. My DS (turned 5 last week) did all kinds of letter tracing in 4 year old preschool this past year, so I think it's a good way for children to learn to write.

Sarah.....mom to Jason (5/25/00) and Devin (5/12/03)

raynjen
06-02-2005, 07:09 PM
We just started homeschooling, and I was concerned about this as well (she will probably go to public school later on). I spoke with many of the first grade/kindergarten teachers here and they each had their own method (there was no school-wide policy). One name that I kept hearing (and which we are now using) is Handwriting Without Tears (HWT). They have a lot of manipulatives for the preschool set to do AND you can buy the teacher's handbook which instructs how to make the letter (they actually give you the phrase to use - "up like a helicopter, bump into the line, now down down down, stop!)

We like it and are using the entire preschool setup (workbooks; CD of music - not necessary, but nice; wooden letter pieces; playdough letter cards; slate; etc.) you don't have to get everything, but I was planning on using it for an extended period of time and got everything at once.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler, Noelle!

jadamom
06-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Good point! I'll check with the school.

jadamom
06-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Looks like an excellent program. I'm tempted to buy everything!

em_jon98
06-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Jen,

Can you buy everything seperately? I would love to get the workbooks and some of the pieces, particulary the Play-doh letter cards (DD constantly wants to play with Play-doh :)) to supplement during the summer and especially if we decide not to send her back to school in the fall. Can you tell me where your ordered it from?

Thanks!

jadamom
06-12-2005, 10:10 AM
I ordered individual pieces from their website: http://www.hwtears.com/ . So far, I'm pretty happy with the program. DD loves playing with the wood pieces.