PDA

View Full Version : Finished the Bobs Books. Now what?

Elizasmom
07-13-2005, 11:31 PM
My 4-year-old has just finished the whole Bobs Books Series. She really enjoyed it. Now I'm wondering what to give her to read from here. There are other sets similar to Bobs Books that start out with "Cat sat on pat", etc., but she's a little beyond that. It would be like starting over, and I don't want to lose her interest. Is there a series that is perfect for a child at her stage - something comparable to the last couple of boxes in the Bobs Books series? Does anyone like the "Step Into Reading - Level 1" books? I know she'll like the variety (esp. princess and Barbie books!), but are they any good for learning.

hjdong
07-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't know what the level of the ending bob books are, but I know that some of Dr. Suess books were designed as controlled readers (Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, I think The Foot Book).

HTH,

thomma
07-15-2005, 05:09 PM
You might want to check out a series called Brand New Readers. I think 3 or 4 books come in a set.

raynjen
08-11-2005, 11:04 PM
A good place to ask this question (and be prepared to be innundated with answers) is here: http://www.sonlight-forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 this is a homeschool curriculum forum, but, just like this forum, it has grown beyond the original intent and is now an enormous resource for pre-school children education (in school or out!)

From what I've seen I would suggest "real" books. Go to the library and see what they have in their Early Reader books. Stay away from the numbered books, not because they are bad per say, but because they have no meat and are really rather boring for someone who has mastered the basics of reading.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to my beautiful daughter,
who is now 3 3/4, Noelle!