PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a preschool?

smzapalac
05-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding what to look for in a preschool? My DD is 15 months old and I have started the preschool search. However, I am not really sure what I am looking for. Any suggestions are apprecaited. Thanks!

kedss
05-28-2006, 11:21 PM
It really depends on how much you want to spend, 'Preschool' doesn't really start this early. There are some Montessori preschools that have toddler programs, but I would google your area and see if they have any of those around.

At this age, I would look at:
-student to teacher ratio
-whether they have opportunities to play outside
-the interaction the teacher have with the kids already in the program, you want to feel your child will be taken care of as you watch them work with other kids.

You will probably find a lot of church based co-cops or daycares, which would be great for her just for her to get used to being with other kids and learning to play with them, though that doesn't really start until closer to 2, developmentally. I would also ask parents around your neighborhood for recommendations, and maybe try an in home daycare?

hth!

smzapalac
05-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your advice/suggestions!

kedss
05-30-2006, 06:33 AM
you're welcome, I used to teach in a preschool/daycare, if you have any other questions, let me know. :)