PDA

View Full Version : Speech and language screening at preschool

kristenk
10-05-2006, 03:00 PM
A speech-language pathologist is coming to DD's school next week. Any parent who so chooses, may have their child screened for delays. It's not free, but it's definitely not cost-prohibitive.

I think DD's doing really well as far as speech/language goes, but I guess I could be missing something. I just can't decide whether to sign her up for it or not.

My question:
If you think that your child's speech/language is fine, would you have the screening done?

JulieL
10-05-2006, 03:09 PM
No I would not. DS was a bit delayed in his speech, but nothing really clincially delayed. Regardless the teachers couldn't understand him, and he would not speak as clearly to them as he would us. So they suggested we see a speech therapist (I don't think she was a pathologist, not sure now) that the school used for screenings. Well Anthony saw her, and gave him a totally evaluation of delayed/behind in like 5 categorsies, three in which we totally knew he was not having any problems with. I was so upset, then found out a therapist in a 15 min screening can not diagnose a child as delayed, and was kinda ticked about the whole thing. She wanted us to follow up on DS, but yet spelled his name wrong on the evaluation sheet she gave me, which btw was given to me a week late...arghhh... Anyway we thought of seeing someone esle, but waited, then like overnight his speech got at ton better only 2 or 3 months after that visit.

So don't stress yourself out if there is nothing wrong, I was totally stressed and upset at my situation, but I think the therapist wasn't a very good one.

Ok, that's my answer :)

eta: this was when he was 2 1/2

JacksMommy
10-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I probably wouldn't bother unless you are concerned. If you can understand your DD and everyone else can, too, there probably isn't anything to worry about. You aren't concerned and neither is her preschool so why pay for an eval. She will be screened for speech issues in kindergarten anyway!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

JASC
10-05-2006, 05:16 PM
My DS' speech evaluation took over an hour. I doubt that the person who is coming in could be that thorough. Additionally, if you have concerns, your local school district's speech and language department should provide evaluations - ours does at no cost for children who are three or older. Our district also provides services (therapy) for those children with delays. To answer your question, I would not have this screening done if you don't have concerns.

Twins2000
10-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't. Even if it is a nominal fee, I can't understand how you could be charged for just a screening done in preschool. If you or your child's teacher had concerns, then I would go through your school district for an eval through CPSE (Committee on Preschool Special Education).

Just my 2 cents!

Leslie

kristenk
10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I don't have any concerns about DD's speech. I think we'll skip it!

LaurelC
10-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Sounds like you already have made your decision, but for what it's worth, I agree.

If you don't have any concerns, I wouldn't bother.

JacksMommy
10-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi Laurel! I just had to write and say we have the same name and our DDs have the same too (even spelled the same!). Considering that I hardly ever meet other Laurels, that's pretty cool!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA