PDA

View Full Version : ISO: SUNNY Vacation! Disney Cruise?

dd_ani
10-06-2003, 08:22 PM
It is going to snow and I am thinking "BEACH!" Actually, I love the snow, but DH gets a little depressed during the long Ohio winters, so we want to go someplace warm for a week or so in late January/early February. My top choice at the moment is a Disney cruise. The problem is DD won't be 2 until the end of February and surely won't be potty trained and thus won't be allowed into the onboard pools. (She is like a fish, so this could pose a problem.:))

Does anyone have any experience with what other swimming options are available? Would we be better to do a land and sea vacation and spend half of it at one of the resorts with a pool? I would really like to get her to the ocean at a good beach, but I am not sure where would be good that time of year. We are also open to suggestions for other resorts, as long as it is someplace warm and SUNNY!

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

egoldber
10-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Have you thought about the Caribbean or Mexico? Both will do nicely. :) That time of year, is of course, high season, so expect to pay premium for any warm weather destination. Some family took a Disney cruise a few years ago, and it was rather shockingly expensive as I recall.

We went to Jamaica last January with my (then) 17 month old and it was great fun. :) There all-inclusive resorts that specialize in "family" vacations, like the Beaches resorts (part of the Sandals family of resorts).

HTH,

jal
10-07-2003, 02:05 PM
We are going on a Disney Cruise at the end of this month. I was speaking with one of the Disney represenatives on the phone trying to get information about going on a Cruise with baby. She said that they have made some sort of changes and that one of the Micky ears is supposed to be set up special such that babies with "Smimmers" dipers could go in that one pool.

And of course there will be plenty of beaches you'll be able to take DD to. Disney's Island is basicly just a big day at the beach, and depending upon which cruise you are going on, some of the shore excusions at island stop are just a trip to the beach (you'll see more of that on a 7 day cruise).

JustMare
10-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Should you skip the cruise and just go to Disney world, January February is the ideal time to visit. Comfortable weather and no crowds. I'm not sure about the exact temperature, but I know it's comfortable.

Beth is right about price, the Disney cruise is the most expensive cruise out there (next to the QE2). But there are sales and promotions available. When we did the land/sea cruise, I booked it almost 1 year in advance through AMEX Travel. Since AMEX is the official credit card of WDW, they were running a promotion. For me and DH in a deluxe verandah room and tower room at the Contemporary Resort we paid $2,700 on sale from $4,900!! Huge savings!!! Only AMEX Travel offered the discounted rate.

DH's birthday is in February and I know the carribean is expensive that time of year. For his 30th birthday, I wanted to take him to the Atlantis Resort in Paradise Island, Bahamas. Well, for 4 nights/3days they wanted $2,300 - without meals!!!! We instead went to Vegas for half the price!

The only place I know your'll get a bargain is WDW. But unfortunately I'm not sure if it's pool weather at that time.

egoldber
10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
I've been to WDW in February. It can be nice, or it can be quite cold. The weather is more unpredictable then that at other times of the year. But the lack of crowds IS wonderful. But the price for one night at a WDW deluxe resort is similar to the price for one night at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. Both are great fun, its just a matter of what you want to do...