PDA

View Full Version : One Day Trip to DW With 2 year old

westgre
03-05-2005, 07:53 PM
An opportunity arose that we can go to Disney World for only one day in early April. DD is 26 months. She loves anything Jim Henson right now. What attractions would you definitely plan? I checked out the Hassle Free Disney book from the library, but there is just so much research it's a little overwhelming. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gretchen & Lyra (12/30/02)

egoldber
03-06-2005, 11:14 AM
If you only have one day, I would go to the Magic Kingdom and make a nice slow day of it. Hopefully its a day when they are open late (check their hours, the MK closes at different times almost every day).

Start in Fanstasyland and do the rides and things that kids really enjoy:

Pooh ride
Dumbo
its a small world (check if its open yes, its been closed for removation)

There's a 3D movie there (Mickey's Philharmagic). Most kids like it, but my DD finds it very intense, so I would sit near an exit if possible.

Other things she enjoys: meeting characters and getting autographs, the steamboat ride, the train around the park.

Also think about making a reservation for a character meal, like the one at The Crystal Palace.

brubeck
03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately it is in the MGM Studios but there is a terrific Muppet Movie/Show at Disneyworld.

westgre
03-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Ok, change of plans. :) Now staying four days. Have a few more questions for the DW pros...
1) I have a Zippy and a Jeep Liberty. DD's favorite is the Jeep and I love the air filled tires for amusement parks and zoos, but I'm worried about the bulky fold and weight. We are flying so will be gate checking. Also, I'm concerned that the Jeep may not fit on the railroad or buses. So, leaning more toward taking the Zippy. Having said that, she has not been a big fan of stroller riding for quite some time now. So, I'm also debating just renting a stroller at the park. How are the strollers there? Do they recline at all?
2) We're still debating where to stay. In the Unofficial Guide they recommend the Polynesian, the Grand Floridian, and the Wilderness Lodge in that order. We were also looking at the Contemporary because they are also on the monorail. What do you recommend?
I think that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
TIA!
Gretchen & Lyra (12/30/02)

JustMare
03-24-2005, 09:32 PM
We just went to WDW for my son's first birthday in February. He loved all the attractions except the 3-D movies - scared him to screams! Unfortnately, the muppets is in 3-D. Sit close to an exit because the ending is intense. Little kids can't handle it.

I have both a Zippy and a Jeep Liberty. I took the Zippy and wished I had taken the Jeep. The Zippy just lacks storage. Plus, I'm always afraid of theft. I know people always say there isn't any, but I have a friend who had her Peg Perego Pliko stolen, so I know it DOES happen. I had the only Zippy in WDW that week while I saw a handful of Jeeps. I just get a lump in my stomach when I park my Zippy unattended - it's my son's favorite stroller. The Jeep is great for theme parks. Love the storage and the snack tray for him would have come in handy. Next trip in May I'm bringing the Jeep. I personally think the storage is worth the bulk.

We stayed at the Polynesian and LOVED it! I've also stayed at the Contemporary too. Either one, the location is perfect. We tended to use the monorail rather than the boat service since you were able to stroll on the monorail and the boat you had to fold up the stroller. I also didn't venture to Animal Kingdom because of the bus and folding the stroller up. Just such a bother when I got so used to the monorail. The day we went to MGM was so hectic! DS fell asleep and I had to take him out of the stroller, empty out the basket (which you don't think of while your filling up the basket!) and fold the stroller. Plus I had my mom with me so she didn't know how to fold the stroller and couldn't carry the diaper bag, bottle bag, baby and stroller and walk up the bus steps. And to top it off, the bus driver didn't assist us at all and we were the only passengers! It was just not worth it. Maybe if my DH was with me it would have been easier, but I just couldn't handle the buses by myself. We took the boat from MGM to Epcot afterwards then the monorail back to the Poly. That was the one and only bus ride I took with the stroller. That was the main reason why I didn't take the Jeep. I knew I'd never managed that stroller by myself!

Hope that helps!

momtoB
03-26-2005, 09:47 AM
>Ok, change of plans. :) Now staying four days. Have a few
>more questions for the DW pros...
>1) I have a Zippy and a Jeep Liberty. DD's favorite is the
>Jeep and I love the air filled tires for amusement parks and
>zoos, but I'm worried about the bulky fold and weight. We are
>flying so will be gate checking. Also, I'm concerned that the
>Jeep may not fit on the railroad or buses. So, leaning more
>toward taking the Zippy. Having said that, she has not been a
>big fan of stroller riding for quite some time now. So, I'm
>also debating just renting a stroller at the park. How are the
>strollers there? Do they recline at all?
>2) We're still debating where to stay. In the Unofficial
>Guide they recommend the Polynesian, the Grand Floridian, and
>the Wilderness Lodge in that order. We were also looking at
>the Contemporary because they are also on the monorail. What
>do you recommend?
>I think that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll
>have more questions later.
>TIA!
>Gretchen & Lyra (12/30/02)

Hi Gretchen,
We have made three trips so far this year with our ds, the first at 13months, so I feel kind of like an "old hand" by now, lol. We also have a Jeep Liberty. We only took it on our first two trips and after that I bought a Kidco stroller with umbrella fold because I didn't like the bulkiness of the Jeep when getting on and off the buses and trams and we also needed the space in the rental car for an extra person we were bringing along. I really loved how easy the Kidco was for folding and stowing but I did miss the Jeep for the cushiness for my ds. I didn't miss the basket too much though. I just tried to pack as light as possible and put everything in a small backpack that I hung on the back of the stroller. That way I could just leave the stroller empty when on attractions and not worry about anything being taken. I have never worried about my stroller be taken though. I guess that's one benefit to not having a more popular brand stroller, heh? :) We did take the Jeep stroller on the MK Railroad. It was tight fit, but it did fit. Anyway, if you want to see pictures of what the strollers look like here's a link to a site with pics and stroller faq: http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/strol_faq.htm. The top pic is the strollers at AK and if you scroll down a bit there are links to pics of the other park's strollers. hth. They are hard plastic and do not recline, so if you're worried about your dd taking naps that may not be an option. Although I have seen kids who didn't seem to have a problem with it. WDW can really tire one out! You could bring a blanket or something to line it with.

As far as where to stay we are DVC members so we have always stayed at the Boardwalk, which is next to Epcot and near MGM as well. We love it there, but our next trip in a couple of weeks, we're staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas and so will be a short boat ride away from MK. We are looking forward to the convenience of that. I know a lot of people really like the monorail resorts for that reason and you will probably be happy no matter which one you choose.

hth!
Cheryl
ds-4/21/03