PDA

View Full Version : character meals in WDW

linda_loo
01-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Last time we went, I forgot to make reservations in advance, and we missed out on a character meal. I really want to do it this year, but I can't remember what our guide book suggested.

Has anyone done one? Comments, suggestions?

If it helps, my girls will be 2.5 and almost 4 when we go.

TIA!

momtoB
01-20-2006, 02:20 PM
This site: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining.htm
Has a dining reservation calculator that will tell you based on your travel dates when you can start booking priority seating reservations.
It's a VERY useful tool, especially if you want to do Cinderella's Royal Table (CRT) which is extremely difficult to book. If your girls love the princesses and want to eat in the castle, then you need to book this one right on the first day you can (90 days in advance, I think) right when the reservation line opens (since we're on Pacific time that means 5am for us!). I cannot stress enough how difficult this ressie can be to make so you want to start trying as soon as you can if you want it.

There is also a princess meal at Epcot in the Resturant Akershus in Norway. If your dd's don't care for the princesses, then one of the other meals might be a better choice - Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, Cape May w/ Minnie & Chip & Dale at The Beach Club (we really enjoyed this one), 1900 Park Fair at GF. Here's a list of all the different character meals at WDW: http://www.wdwinfo.com/Just_for_kids/character_dining.cfm

lots of choices. Have fun!

The number to make reservations is 1-407-WDW-DINE.

MaryM
01-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Advance planning wasn't possible for our recent trip, so we just called the (area code) WDW-DINE number and the rep was SUPER helpful in telling us what character meals were available during our time frame, and helped us by our character interests. The very popular ones (like the Princess meals require a credit card guarantee which you can cancel up to 48 hours in advance). So...it also means even if a meal and time you really want is booked, try again in case there are last minute cancellations.

We had about the same age girls as you do, and we did 2 character meals: 1) - Princess Storybook Dining at Norway in Epcot and 2) The Winnie the Pooh Breakfast buffet at the Crystal Palace

We loved, loved, loved our dinner at Norway as we had to please the food tastes, and entertainment needs of 3 generations (tots, parents, grandparents). While we waited outside for our time, all the little girls were waiting in their princess dresses, and interacting with each other. That was beautiful right there alone!!, plus Norway has their musicians playing right outside their restaurant, so dancing music was easy to find!! (Ours had on a fancy dress from a wedding, and still felt like she fit right in!!. The food here is ordered from a menu, and brought to you. Very relaxing atmosphere. We met the princesses one by one at the table, and though they didn't interact very long, it was long enough for the kids, time for pics, etc.

We also LOVED the character interaction at the Crystal Palace (Pooh and Friends Breakfast Buffet) The characters paraded around the room encouraging kids to join in, they kept coming to the tables and played or colored, or just did some funny antics. The Food was o.k. and buffet style so it's relatively easy to please all tastes.

So the experience was different at each of the places we went to, and we enjoyed them thoroughly in different ways! PLUS - the phone rep at the WDW-DINE also suggested some other things of interest like tours, etc to help fill our time based on interests. I called a few times, and there is often a difference on the helpfulness of each rep., so it's worth a call or so. We got spots that were last minute cancellations. Once at the property, we tried for our other dinner reservations, and it was just about pointless.....EVERYWEHRE (even pizza restaurants at the parks) So even your other meals, when you can....reserve in advance!!!

bnme
02-24-2006, 09:01 PM
We went last year and did the one at the Polynesian (I think the restaurant is called O'hana). They had Mickey, Goofy, & Chip 'n Dale dressed in Hawaiian shirts. The food was good, served family style. Every half hour or so the characters would do an interactive parade around the dining room. Kids got maracas and got to join in. It was great for video taping. Then they would visit individual tables for pics. We saw at least 2 parades and had many photo ops.

My 2yo loved it, as did my slighty older nephews and my cousin in the 2nd grade. I highly recommend it. Fun for adults, too!

We had done the Pooh at Crystal Palace a few years back. It was a buffet and the characters just went around the room. That one was so much more hectic & crowded. Did not have the fun and unique feel of the Polynesian one.