PDA

View Full Version : Disney Packing Help - DC's Clothes

ChefGirl
04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Okay, we are leaving this Friday for Disney World for five days coming home on next Tuesday afternoon. I looked up forecast in Orlando this week. It looks like it will rain most of the time. So sad....

Anyway, how much clothes do I need for my kids. I have a 4 yo DS and 2 yo DD. I'm not worrying about my son. He's just a shirt and shorts guy. But, DD is a totally different story. Should I bring her separates or dresses? We'll probably hang out at the hotel pool a couple of times and going to the Parks three of those five days.

I have the ultimate Disney packing list. Are there anything I should bring with me that are essential from all of your past experience? I would appreciate any advice from all of you experienced Moms.

Thanks.

BeachBum
04-30-2007, 07:04 AM
One of my favorite memories from my childhood was a disney vaca where it rained. The MK was so less crowded and we got to ride the big rides multiple times. :)

If you know it is going to be rainy--I would consider bringing rash guard shirts for the kids. They will dry quickly and make a long day more comfortable. I would also avoid any denim or material that will take a long time to dry.

HTH

ast96
04-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Definitely bring rain ponchos. Disney sells them for a ridiculous amount of money. I advise getting some that are big enough to cover most of your and their bodies. I have had to buy an entire new outfit for my son before -- from shoes, socks, etc. all the way up to his head -- because the rain can really soak you when you are out in the open at Disney. Bring shoes that can deal with water, too.

I would bring two outfits a day. If it isn't raining, you are all going to sweat. If it is, you're going to get wet. And you will need to change after the pool.

Have fun!

kbudsberg
04-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Well, I live here and the forecast I see is 10% chance of rain for your trip. I seriously doubt it will rain much, if at all. We've had a really, really bad dry spell for quite sometime. The rainy season here isn't until the summer. I've lived here for a year now and have only seen maybe 3 days that I would consider rainy days and those were during a tropical depression. So if it does rain it's very scattered and short lived. Rain ponchos are a good idea though, but doubt you'll need them.

Have fun!

Kim

AmyZ
04-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Stain stick.

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Abigail 1/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

ast96
04-30-2007, 11:16 AM
I live here too -- born and raised. Rain ponchos are NEVER a bad idea. And Hurricane Season approaches, LOL!

hudsonam
04-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Yup, I lived in Orlando for almost 3 years, and I think there were literally 3 days when it rained all day and was actually overcast. Any other time it rained, it would be sunny all day, rain in the afternoon, and then stop. And that time of year hasn't really started, so you should be fine. Have fun! That's the most important thing! And definitely buy some cheap ponchos before you go.

randomkid
04-30-2007, 04:28 PM
For clothes, I would stay with separates. I just think they will be more comfortable and easier to manage in the heat. I just took DD to Sea World today and carried her a lot so she could see everything - can't imagine wrangling a dress whenever I was taking her in/out of the stroller.

Sunscreen
Hats
Sunglasses
Insulated water bottles
A small bag for all your valuables - camera, money, tickets,etc. I put everything in DD's diaper bag today and ended up carrying that thing way more than I wanted to and we were only there 4 hours. I would have a small bag that you can put valuables in and just carry it all day, then another bag with diapers, snacks and supplies that you can just leave in the stroller whenever you go into an attraction. That stuff is really pretty safe left in the stroller - it's the other things that I would worry about and not want to leave.
Make the bag that you leave in the stroller a plain old thing that nobody wants. Don't take a nice expensive bag.

Don't worry about the rain - like PPs said, chances are slim right now, but it is hot already. Some rain showers would really be a welcome break from the heat in the afternoons!

mom to little e
04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Great question! We are leaving Saturday, too. Maybe we'll see you there! :)

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

ChefGirl
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for everyone's great ideas. Does anyone know if I should buy one of those cords to attach to the kids' sunglasses? Where can I get some cheap ponchos? I got DD a raincoat from Old Navy the other day. Do you think I should bring it? Or, do you think I should just get an adult poncho. We would have our double stroller with us as well... My head hurts just thinking about how much stuff to pack....Yikes.

Thanks again.

MelissaTC
05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I second...or third the ponchos. Make sure you take it out of the packaging and trim it if necessary for your son. The child size tends to be long on mine. Everytime I have ever been to WDW or Florida for that matter, we have had to use the ponchos- summer, spring, winter or fall.

I also second bringing some sort of stain stick or stain removal. DS got a stain on a well loved shirt and I had to pay almost $5 for a stain stick from the gift shop.

ChefGirl
05-01-2007, 01:17 PM
>I second...or third the ponchos. Make sure you take it out of
>the packaging and trim it if necessary for your son.

I got him a water-resistant jacket in a pocket thing at lunch today. He's 38 inches tall and super skinny. Do you think the jacket will work better or worse than a poncho? I got DH and myself a vinyl poncho. DD will have her rain jacket from Old Navy.

Thanks.

MelissaTC
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I think maybe a jacket would be better because he will actually be able to see and his arms won't get lost in the poncho, if that makes sense. I need to start bringing a rain jacket for mine.

ChefGirl
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks Melissa. My thoughts exactly. I was just afraid they'll be tripping over the poncho and freaking out about the arm-less poncho.

Thanks again everyone!

TraciG
05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
have fun, we leave May 11th

SASM
05-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi again!

I second, etc the rain ponchos. We had rain one of the days that we were there and had to buy the ponchos. We actually had a wind/rain coat for Ian but, in November/December, it was actually to muggy/warm for the light spring coat and he wanted something lighter. I would also recommend extra separates for DS and a small sundress, etc for DD. I forgot to pack an extra outfit for Ian (age 4) at MK, not knowing that there was a water play area in Toontown (I think there are some in all of the parks but I specifically remember there being one at EPCOT as well). DS beelined for the area and, of course, was soaked and then complained about being wet. We had to buy a HUGE t-shirt (the only shirt that he liekd was only in larger sizes), which I wasn't planning on, at least in that part of the park. Also, bring a small keychain thingy of sunblock (one less bulky thing to pack). Coronado charged quite a bit for theirs and they were all expired, besides. Just refill it at hotel breaks. :) Hats, sunglasses, STAIN STICK/spray (!) as others mentioned.

I am forgetting something else (at the tip of my brain)...UGH! Hopefully someone else will mention it to jog my pregnancy brain. :)