PDA

View Full Version : What character meal would you recommend?

billysmommy
09-18-2007, 02:18 PM
DH is going to a class in late October in Florida and we just found out (today!!!) that the resort it's at is right across from WDW. Billy has been dying to go to WDW so we decided that we're going to take him. Benjamin will be staying with my mom for the 5 days we're gone. What character meal would you recommend the most ~ Billy loves Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse, Little Einsteins. We could actually probably do a few of them as it is just Billy and myself going to the parks ~ DH may come with us one evening but he'll be in classes all day. We'll have Thurs-Sat to go to the parks ~ what does everyone recommend?

belovedgandp
09-18-2007, 03:47 PM
As scary as this sounds, you may end up with whatever is still available. I thought I was totally on top of things for our trip calling 8 week out and while we were able to get all the meals I wanted (except one). I had to shuffle days and eat at times all over the board.

Since we had six days to play with it wasn't a big scheduling deal, plus regular meal times got thrown out the window during vacation, so we would just snack heavy in the morning for a 2pm lunch or eat a really light breakfast for an 11 am lunch.

Personally, we enjoyed Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary the most had a late lunch there. Not very crowded, fun surroundings, and great interactions.

We had breakfast at Restaurantasourus (sp?) at Animal Kingdom and enjoyed it too. Just a little more crowded and noisy because of the building.

Pooh and Friends at the Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom was also great for the environment - we got a great table out on the edge.

Hollywood and Vine - Dine and Play at MGM had Jo Jo, Goliath, and Little Einsteins (June and Leo). It was crazy loud and a lot of fun. While Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's also had some parades/dancing the Dine and Play had the most dancing and interaction.

All the character meals were buffets with plentiful but not necessarily the yummiest foods. Lots of choices both healthy and not so healthy. Great desserts at all of them though :)

We just got back from a week with our 3 1/2 year old and 3 month old and had a blast!

billysmommy
09-18-2007, 04:09 PM

We are totally not picky ~ since it is just Billy and I we don't have to be totally set on a time. I know it's last minute but I'm just wondering if there are one or two that are much better than the rest and that I should keep trying for.

I don't think we're going to do the dining plan since it is just the 2 of us. I figure we'll do whatever character meals we can get and then do counter service meals for the rest of the day. Dinners are going to vary as we won't know what time DH is going to be done each day until he IS done. We're hoping that he will get at least 1 early evening so we can all go back to the park for dinner and just walk around and enjoy.

I really want to do the Pooh one and maybe Chef Mickey ~ I'm not going to tell Billy about them until I know what we can get.

billysmommy
09-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Would it be crazy to just do all 3 days at the Magic Kingdom? Billy is the kind of kid who once he does something he loves ~ that's all he wants to do. He LOVES Peter Pan and is dying to go on the Peter Pan ride and I know that he will want to do that every day!!!

DH would get bored and want to see all the parks and if we were all together I would probably feel that way too but this is going to be all about Billy while we are there. I would be totally happy spending all our days there ~ I would feel better about leaving the park and going back to the hotel whenever we need to knowing that we have more days there and we don't have to try to cram everything in.

What do all you Disney experts think?

egoldber
09-18-2007, 07:17 PM
If its just the two of you, you may prefer some of the meals that are not buffets. I find a buffet a little challenging to manage without another adult.

Some of the non-buffet character meals:

Garden Grill in Epcot (lunch and dinner)
Liberty Tree Tavern (characters only at dinner)
O'Hana at the Polynesian (Lilo & Stitch breakfast)

Other meals that are not character meals that many kids find really fun:

SciFi DineIn at MGM
Biergarten in Epcot (floor show, its a buffet though)
Coral Reef in Epcot (you eat near a huge aquarium)

JennM
09-19-2007, 08:59 AM
We had lunch at Garden Grill when we went in June (me, DH, DD, my parents, and my sister and brother-in-law). Mickey, Pluto, and Chip and Dale were there, and they were all dressed in overalls/farmer attire. The characters were able to give each table a lot of attention because the restaurant wasn't overly crowded, and the food was really good. I highly recommend it!

billysmommy
09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I just called and had no trouble getting reservations for the Winnie the Pooh breakfast and the Little Einsteins breakfast. The rep I talked with said there was lots of availability for both of those on the days we were looking it.
We got 8:15 for Winnie the Pooh at the Crystal Palace and 8:00 for the Little Einsteins.
The Cinderella breakfast and lunch at the castle were all booked for the 3 days we are going to be there but I may keep trying ~ Billy has "a thing" for Cinderella and wants to see her
Yippee :)

egoldber
09-19-2007, 10:42 AM
You can also see Cinderella at dinner at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. Appearing at dinner are Cinderella, Prince Charming and Suzy & Perla (the mice). The Fairy Godmother holds court in the lobby of the restaurant. :)

Or Cinderalla can *usually* be found in the Judge's Tent in Toontown Fair at the MK.

jse107
09-19-2007, 12:06 PM
We JUST got back on Sunday from a trip with our 3 year-old. We did the PlayNDine with Little Einsteins, Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh (and friends) and Chef Mickeys. They were all great and Owen loved them all!

Crystal Palace was the prettiest and had the best food--it's at MK. The character interaction was great, and they do a little parade around the room with the kids. If you can't get the Cinderella breakfast, you might try this one.

Chef Mickeys was decent food and was great b/c we got to see all the "major" characters. They all posed for pictures and spend time at each table.

PlayNDine at Hollywood and Vine had the best character interaction--Owen got to dance with Leo and June--I think he thought he had died and gone to heaven! :) The food was fair, but was worth it to see the look on Owen's face as he got to meet his favorite TV stars!

I think there is a "princess" meal at Askerhaus (Norway) at World Showcase in Epcot. I don't know if it includes Cinderella, but it may be worth checking in to if you really want Cinderella! Otherwise, he can always meet her in Toon Town--they have an area where the princesses pose for pics.

HTH! Have a GREAT time!!!!

ETA: I don't think you'd be crazy for doing MK three days. We did all the parks in our 5 day visit, and it was a little hectic. We did go back to the hotel each day for a swim and a nap. Perhaps you can get teh Park Hopper option tickets (even though they're more $$), and then you'll have the option of traveling to whichever park you're in the mood for.

The Little Einsteins meal is at MGM. MGM doesn't have a lot for little ones, other than the Playhouse Disney stuff (and Lightning McQueen, which was a HUGE hit also). Owen had the best time at Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Magic Kingdom will hold lots of magic and has the most rides for toddlers. Animal Kingdom was great--Owen loved seeing all the animals and loved the Kilimanjaro Safari ride. Epcot has some great fountains and nice displays. The Nemo ride was a big hit, but he didn't care (not surprisingly) about World Showcase.

Don't get me wrong, as adults we love them all--but if you're trying to maximize the child's enjoyment, I'd spend the most time at MK and then dabble in the others if you can!

momtoB
09-19-2007, 10:50 PM
>You can also see Cinderella at dinner at 1900 Park Fare at
>the Grand Floridian. Appearing at dinner are Cinderella,
>Prince Charming and Suzy & Perla (the mice). The Fairy
>Godmother holds court in the lobby of the restaurant. :)
>
>Or Cinderalla can *usually* be found in the Judge's Tent in
>Toontown Fair at the MK.

1900 Park Fair just underwent a renovation. This is from Allearsnet.com Dining News and Review

SEPTEMBER 2007

When 1900 Park Fair reopens later this month, the dinner will be called "Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner". Featured characters will be Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anatasia and Drizella (from Cinderella III).

I also read on The Dis that they will be serving a plated dinner as opposed to a buffet. I'm a little dissapointed actually because we really enjoyed all the characters and the food when we ate there last time. I hope it's just as good food wise and that they at least let the Fairy Godmother and the mice make some "guest" appearances. Cindy is too cute though - she gave ds(3 at the time) a big fat kiss on the cheek and he couldn't have been more tickled. lol

hth

momathome
10-07-2007, 09:00 AM
That's a real shame they changed 1900 Park Fair - that was my girls favorite character meal when we were at Disney. :(

luvsviola
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
We are going next week. We made reservations two months ago and couldn't get in a lot of places. When I called last week to add 2 to our Crystal Palace reservation, we were told they were full. I'd call immediately to book your dinners/lunches.

I am very frustrated with the new meal plan.