PDA

View Full Version : Best Disney resort for family of five (kids almost 5, almost 3, 4 months)

marinkitty
10-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I am a complete Disney novice, never having been there before, but our oldest has been bitten by the Disney bug and we are thinking of heading there in early February.

Given that we'll have the three kids and the baby is going to be so small - which of the Disney properties would you recommend for us? I've read descriptions of all of them and have to admit I'm just stumped -they all seem to have pluses and minuses and without any hands on experience I have no way to know how to weigh them. I feel like until I know where we want to stay I can't really start planning.

I'm sure we'll try to do MK at least two days and then do a day in Epcot, MGM and AK. I think we'll go for a week, maybe a day shorter. We will definitely be planning on heading back to the hotel for a break in the afternoon. Probably also have one down day where we don't plan on doing a park. DD and DS will be into the characters and shows more than rides, I suspect (and DS will be too short for many of them anyway, plus whoever has baby will have to sit out), other than the really small rides like Dumbo etc.

For those who are Disney vets - is it worth splurging on a monorail hotel for convenience? If so, which one? If not, which place do you think would be most fun for the kids?

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.03), Jack (3.05) and another arrival expected this fall!

egoldber
10-14-2007, 07:49 AM
If you can splurge and not feel bad about it, I think the Contemporary is your best bet. You can walk to the MK and monorail to Epcot. I've never been able to bring myself to spend the money though!

The kids will enjoy any of them, so I really wouldn't worry about that. Since your youngest is an infant, they don't count in the headcount, so you can stay at any resort. When your youngest is over 2, then they count against your hotel headcount and your places to stay will be much trickier.

The Epcot area resorts offer the convenience of being able to walk to two parks, Epcot and MGM. Those are probably my older DD's favorites so that is where we prefer to stay. We also like to walk into Epcot most evenings and eat dinner there. I personally think Epcot in the evening is one of the nicest things about WDW. :)

The moderate hotels are significantly cheaper and offer many of the same amenities. If you are willing to put up with a little inconvenience by driving or busing to the parks, it is a LOT cheaper. I have stayed at all the mods except CBR and I prefer POFQ.

momtoB
10-14-2007, 09:45 AM
I would also look at the Wilderness Lodge. It is a short bus or boat ride from MK and if you can splurge then you might want to look at renting a Villa there from a DVC member (check out the DVC rent/trade board at www.disboards.com). The Villas at Wilderness Lodge will offer you a small kitchen and laundry facilities, plus just more room. You will really appreciate it with three kids and especially a baby that will probaby need a quieter place to nap.
WL FAQ
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_wl.htm
DVC rent/trade board:
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
be sure to read the sticky threads at the top of the board before considering this option.
I mention this option because we are DVC members (own at the Boardwalk and OKW) and have stayed at VWL and ds just loved it. There's a bubbling spring fountain in the lobby that flows into a creek and down to the main swimming pool. The main lodge is modeled after the Old Faithful lodge (circa 1904) and the surrounding area is very woodsy and has an outdoorsy NW theme. There's even a replica of old faithful itself that "blows" steam somewhat randomly. It has very nice theming (spoken from someone who lives in the NW).

The pp is correct - you can save a lot by staying at a value resort but you will be giving up the convenience of being close to the parks. I would only consider this option (personally) if I had a car to increase my transportation flexibility and not have to always rely on the busses. (saying this after a 1 wk stay at the All Stars and only using Disney transport instead of renting a car). All Stars does now offer family suites if you haven't considered those. Here's a link to more info http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_asuites.htm

Just some food for thought. Hope this helps!

C

B (4.5yrs)

marinkitty
10-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the input, both of you. I dragged DH into the decision and he is really liking the WL, but Beth your point about it being so nice to head into Epcot at night sounds like a good one too. More pondering to do I guess.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.03), Jack (3.05) and another arrival expected this fall!

egoldber
10-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Well the good thing is that ALL the resorts are so nice and fun (even the mods and values) that you will undoubtedly enjoy yourself wherever you decide to stay. :)

One other thing we like about the Epcot area is the Boardwalk. There is always entertainment available at night: music, magicians, carnival games, etc. for the family to enjoy without even having to go into a park. And sometimes its fun just to walk around the lake and visit other resorts. There are tons of restuarants in the resorts/Boardwalk that are available as dinner options as well as going into Epcot itself.

pinkmomagain
11-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Just poking my head in to say that WL is my favorite lodging at WDW so far. I LOVE the ambiance there and I love how you can take a short boat ride to MK.

Gina