PDA

View Full Version : Best Mod Resort in January

KrystalS
10-25-2007, 04:28 PM
My dh is returning in December from a deployment to Iraq. We had planned to stay at Shades of Green since we get a huge military discount. However they are already booked for the days we wanted. Which moderate rate resort is the best? We don't really care about the pools b/c I think it will be too cold in January. I don't mind taking the bus to the parks, but I would prefer to be closer to Magic Kingdom than any other parks. We also plan to go to Universal, do the resorts offer transportation there?

Momof3Labs
10-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Did you see this discussion on mods from a few weeks ago?

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=51&topic_id=567&mesg_id=567&page=

I thought that if SOG was booked, they would book overflow at other Disney hotels. You might want to ask about that option to keep your (well-earned) discount.

Looking at the map, the Port Orleans resorts are a little closer to MK, although the Unofficial Guide's travel time grid put them a few minutes farther out from MK. But the difference in travel time to MK from each of the mods is only about 5 minutes, so that doesn't really seem like a key decision point.

Disney does not offer transportation to Universal for obvious reasons, but I believe that you can get a Mears charter bus to take you there and back. You might want to look at the Mears website for times and prices (plus reservation information).

KrystalS
10-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info, I figured that about Universal but thought I would check anyway. SOG will book us at another resort but right now they can't do it because they don't have a price list for 2008. Not sure why, the person I talked to just said to call back in a few weeks. I'm just worried if I wait too long we won't get a reservation at all! I'll just check out all the Mod resorts since travel time is the same. I'll have to get that book. I'm a Disney novice, obviously!

klwa
10-26-2007, 05:42 AM
We're going in January, as well, and staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, partially because it's so much smaller than the other mods. Much easier with the 3 kiddos (DS & 2 nieces) that we'll have. As for the pools, I know some people who have gone swimming in January, and I know some years it's way too cold. Just depends. I was there a few years ago in late December, and could EASILY have gone swimming.
-Kris

egoldber
10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Huh. I thought I replied but the server must have eaten it. :)

But, yeah, what Lori said. There really is virtually no difference in the mods based on travel times.

Just FYI, the CBR pool will be undergoing renovation in January.

colleenfs
11-03-2007, 12:57 PM
We stayed at POFQ last January, where we celebrated Julia's 5th birthday in full princess style. I was told that this was the smallest of the mods and would be much easier to get around with 2 small kids. It was perfect for our family of 4! We stayed in either building 4 or 5 (can't recall now) and we were very close to everything. Try to request a first floor room if you have a stroller.

~Colleen
Julia, 1-10-02
Emma, 7-27-05

“I do believe in fairies. I do, I do.�