PDA

View Full Version : Reluctantly going for the first time: where to start

aliceinwonderland
11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
I am uninterested myself(even more so after reading the coffee thread below), but we do have a wedding to go to, and I know the boy would love it. I have never been.

Do you usually get packages? Why does stay on site seem to be so $$ (well over 1000 for 4 nights?) Do you go through the normal travel sites (expedia, etc) to book? Thanks in advance!!

luvsviola
11-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Staying on property is so much better because their transportation will pick you up from the airport and deliver you to your hotel for free, and also will get your luggage from baggage claim without you having to touch it. You literally get off the plane and get on the bus. To get this service for free, you must book through Disney.

We just returned from taking our 9 month old for the first time. It was fabulous. If you want to eat sit-down meals, make your reservations now. All of the descriptions are available on the website. I stayed at the All-Stars, which aren't fancy but were fairly cheap by Disney standards--$85 a night in October. They are small but you aren't there much.

aliceinwonderland
11-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Thank you for the tip to book now and the transport service bit. I am trying to weed through all the info, but it is like learning a foreign language I think :)

momtoB
11-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Yeah, my dh doesn't like the coffee there either but he generally just makes his own in the villa so it's not a huge problem for us (we're DVC members so our accomodations are less hotel like and more like condo's). I wouldn't let the small stuff get you down! One of the things we love about WDW is it's so idealic. There don't seem to be a lot of places that look so good all the time. I can't even imagine the amount of effort that goes into keeping that place in such pristine condition, for the amount of people that travel thru it every day. We go to WDW at least 2x a year, sometimes more, so I think one thing that is nice about that is we can really slow down and enjoy the place. That is what I would recommend. Make sure to pick up a map and times guide when you go into the park and read the times guide to see what is going on, when. For instance at Epcot, there are a lot of performers that do different shows through out world showcase that are very interesting to watch. Here's a site that tells about all the live entertainers in Epcot http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ep/ep_live.htm

BTW, allearsnet is a chock full of information! Check out the dining section to see menus. Definitely call ahead as soon as possible to make Advance Dining Reservations. Because so many people are on the Dining Plan, the table service restaurants tend to fill up in advance so if you wait until the same day to decide where to eat your choices may be very limited, or you might find you have to eat somewhere at either 4pm or 9pm because everything in between is full. On our last trip we tried to change our plans and this is what we found... This is one thing I really dislike about the Dining Plan - the end result is it makes spontenaity in dining a little difficult, but it is what it is. I don't tell you this to discourage you more, but just to give you a little advance warning so you'll have reasonable expectations. :-)

I totally agree with the pp about using Disney Magical Express (DME). Only people staying on property are eligible for this "perk". When you book your trip, you can book DME too. They send you luggage tags to affix to your bags and when you get to the airport and check them, you won't see them again until you get checked into your hotel room (fyi, it can take up to 4hrs after you arrive to actually receive them so be prepared for that). When you leave the resort, you check the bags at the hotel, and then you won't see them again until you get to baggage claim at your home airport. It is really wondeful. We've used it three times and I hope this program stays around for a long time!

Another site that has good planning info and ways to help safe money is www.mousesavers.com make sure to sign up for the free monthly email as well.

hth!