PDA

View Full Version : Osborne Family Christmas Lights at MGM

momofmany
11-03-2007, 11:51 PM
We are going to Orlando the first week of Decemeber. Our original plan was to visit Magic Kingdon and Epcot only. We are now considering adding MGM in order to see the Osborne Family Christmas lights. Is this a "must see?" Also, is MGM a park that can be enjoyed by all ages (ranging from 5 - 13 for children)? Will we see great lights in the other parks such that I can feel ok about skipping this one? TIA for your help!

egoldber
11-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I have not seen the Osborne lights but I have hear they are pretty amazing. If you are there when they are up, I would go.

MGM is probably my 6 year old's favorite park. She loves:

The Little Mermaid show
Beauty and the Beast stage show
The Great Movie Ride (which I think is dull as rocks but she likes it)
Lights! Camera! Action! Stunt show
The Muppet 3D show

For the older kids, the Tower of Terror and the RockNRollercoaster are two of Disney's biggest thrill ride attractions.

She loves eating at the SciFi DineIn Theater.

And Fantasmic is by far her favorite fireworks/nighttime lights show.

momtoB
11-04-2007, 06:49 PM
The decorations in the other parks are very nice but they do NOT compare to the Osbourne lights. Just to give you an idea of the extent - we were at WDW the first two weeks of October and a lot of it had already been set up. I think they start stringing lights in July or August. My vote is definitely go and see them if you have the time. There is nothing else like it! Remember, MGM has Tower of Terror (40" height requirement) and the Rock 'n Roller coaster (48" requirement), as well as the new Lights, Motors, Action car stunt show. We also enjoy the Little Mermaid show, the Indiana Jones Stunt show (which I have heard rumors is going away sometime in the near future) and the Beauty and the Beast stage show (if you have girls they will probably love this but even my DH & DS(4) enjoy it). Star Tours is my ds favorite and now they have the Jedi Training academy which he got to participate in. All the kids get to have a little lightsaber duel with Darth Vader. It was actually very cute. DS also likes the Muppets 3d show even though I admit it's gotten a little old and worn for me. But if you've never seen it, it's pretty cute.

hth!

tarabenet
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm actually a big fan of MGM. I love the architecture and the ambience. But the lights? OMG. No lights compare to those. Last year a cast member told us to be sure to catch them, even though it meant coming back another night, due to our dining reservations. It was great! Plus it "snows" on the set, which is kinda fun for those of us who rarely get to see that. Sadly, though, no light display in any regular neighborhood will *ever* stack up to the dancing Osborne lights. Oh yeah: the lights are "choreographed" to put on a dance show every 20 minutes or so, and it is amazing.

maylips
11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I haven't seen the Osborne lights at MGM, but I grew up in Arkansas (where they are from) and I remember being a teenager and driving past their house at Christmas. It was a good cruising spot for kids who had nothing better to do.

You may/may not know the story, but they had such a display that the neighbors took them to court because of the traffic jams they caused of people looking! The Osborne's lost in court and decided to showcase their lights in Florida. I think it's much more appropriate having them at MGM where kids can enjoy them. They were spectacular at their house, but they took up so much of the property and the house was so close to the road, it was hard to get a true feel for them. They even bought the next door neighbor's house for their display. Truly an over-the-top family.

Anyway, completely OT, but your post brought me back to the days!