PDA

View Full Version : has anyone gone to hawaii with a toddler??? (m)

Tondi G
02-20-2003, 08:32 PM
we are thinking of vacationing to hawaii in Either April or May. Either the Big Island or in Oahu, Waikiki Beach. Our son will be almost 2 years old at the time!

Any hotels you recommend that are reasonable and kid friendly? Any attractions we shouldn't miss?

I've been to hawaii as a child but DH has never been! Thanks for any/all advise you have to offer!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

Eddie and Cherylene
03-11-2003, 07:22 PM
We've gone at least 4-5 times with our young children to hawaii (2 and 4)... We actually just back from Maui a few weeks ago. We usually either go to Oahu or Maui. Because I'm in the military, we usually stay at the Hale Koa hotel on waikiki, right next the hilton hawaiian village. The beach on that side of waikiki is great b/c of little waves and shallow incline so young kids should love it...bring lots of sunscreen cuz the sun is really hot down there and consider one of those nylon surfer shirts while the little one is playing on the beach. I can't otherwise comment on hotels.
In terms of sites to see...definitely check out Hanamono (sp) Bay which is between Diamond Head on Waikiki...its a old volcano that has an abundance of very tame fish that will eat out of your hands...consider renting a boogie board that has a little plastic window in the middle of it so the little one can check out the fish.
Almost all the restaurants are very kid friendly...make sure to make reservations to the bigger restaurants and tell them that you have a "keiki"...little one. We really enjoyed ourselfs at Roy's near Diamond Head...great view, great service and excellent pacific rim food and very kid friendly.
Check out the aquarium near waikiki if your child likes fish...small but still fun.
If you go to Maui, check out the Keiki Zoo in the upcountry...its awesome! my kids loved it...it a pretty big petting zoo that includes a 3yo giraff. its by appointment only but definitely worth it.
Lots of luck and have a great time!! aloha

vsmommy123
06-11-2003, 03:15 PM
I was hoping to find many more responses to your question, as I am HOPEFULLY planning for our first trip to Hawaii w/ my DD in the fall. She will be 2 1/2 then. This will also be our first airplane adventure w/ her, so I'm in the dark about that too! I have spent a LOT of time in HI. Hubby & I even lived there about 10 yrs ago, for a few years. HI on the whole is a very family friendly place, as the people who live there place the family above all. I'm planning our trip to be about 5 nights on Maui in a beach-close condo and 2 nights in Waikiki, so we can say hi to some of my extended family there. Hopefully you made your trip, maybe you could give the rest of us some advice!

Naiyeh
09-28-2003, 07:26 PM
My cousin brought her 5 yo girl & 3 yo boy to Oahu (Waikiki) for a month so her husband could finish his thesis. They had a blast just hanging out and mostly going to beach. They rented a studio apartment a block away from the beach.
If you are leaving from the East Coast (we are in NJ) it could be a long flight. AA has direct flight which is a lifesaver and not much more expansive than others which require connection flight. Liberty Travels usually have great deals.
My cousin scheduled the flight close to the kids' bedtime, and she made sure that they were worn out so they would sleep.
Another thing about traveling by air - be sure to bring your own baby Tylenol or any other medication that you think you might need (however remotely). Imaging finding out the hard way that airlines don't stock these things.
Hope you have a good trip!

cchavez
10-07-2003, 05:45 PM
We haven't traveled to HI w/ DS yet...he is only 5 months...but I if you are choosing b/w Big Island or WAikiki...go w/ the big island, imo. The Hilton Waikaloa (sp??) is great for kids! hth

KUvsOU
10-15-2003, 04:54 PM
I was also hoping someone might have some good suggestions as we are going to Kauai after the first of the year. Luckily, we have some family also going with us. Our son will be a little over 18 months when we go so I worry about him getting bored or sick of being stuck in his seat.

I know some people give their kids Benadryl for the trip and I am not really in favor of doing that. I have also heard that in some children it makes them hyper. I know our friends did this with their child on their flight to Brazil.

I am hoping to take lots of coloring books and board books. However, I have no idea as to what else to pack to keep him entertained on the plane.

As far as Oahu, I really liked the Dole Pineapple Plantation and Waikiki Beach is always great. My aunt has been to both the islands you mentioned and said there is much more to do on Oahu.

Good luck!

Shawna
Mom to Cade 6/16/02

Joel
03-06-2004, 01:03 AM
>I was also hoping someone might have some good suggestions as
>we are going to Kauai after the first of the year.
>
>Shawna
>Mom to Cade 6/16/02

Shawna,

I'm headed to Kauai with my 2.5 year old and 1 year old in a few weeks. Can you give us an after action report from your trip? We're trying to decide what part of the island we should stay in to find lots of kids to play with without being in a big resort or big resort area. We're not sure how to pick between the south, east or north coasts.

Any and all advice or tips on specific activities/restaurants would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Joel

mamahill
03-10-2004, 06:46 PM
I've been to Kauai several times (heading back at the end of the summer) and I'd recommend staying on the east side. We've stayed at the Marriott right outside Lihue and it's really great. I know you said you didn't want to stay at a big resort, though, so I would also recommend Banyan Harbor which is right near the Marriott but much more affordable. They are apartments/townhouses with full kitchens and a couple bedrooms. The reason I recommend the east side is that there are lots of things to do in the North/South/East and East is kind of central. The kids won't really like it, but if you want an interesting view, go to (and I can't remember the official name) to the 'Grand Canyon of Hawaii.' It's at the end of the road in the South, I think. It's pretty amazing to see how DRY and barren it can be. It really does look just like the Grand Canyon! There is great snorkeling all over, especially in the north. Hmmm... what else... Good places to eat - (fancy/expensive) Gaylord's, (nice/affordable) Duke's or Roy's. Have fun!

joelbra
03-17-2004, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, we've already booked a house on the North Shore. Anyone get a sitter while they were on Kauai or the other islands? What did you pay? Any recommendations? Any particular spots where it was good to find other toddlers to play with -- I know there is the man made lagoon on the east side we intend to hit.

dogmom
03-18-2004, 03:48 PM
When my DH and I went (childless) we stopped on Oahu and stayed for a few days at the Kahala Madarin Oriental Hotel. It's a short distance from Waikki, in a residential neighborhood right on a nice beach. It has a discovery dolphin program and a kids program (although I don't know the ages) and it seemed kid friendly. It is not cheap, but we got a deal that was 3 nights, fourth free and some food credits from a travel agent, so it became a good deal. I would definately go back again.

My DH and I have decided to wait, not do any big vacations, and go back to Kauai with our son when we can afford it. When we were on Kauai, we stayed on the North Shore on a house on Annini (sp?) beach. It is a nice little beach, with a public park at the end. It was a reef barrier, so it would be safer for kids unlike most of the beaches on the North Shore. I'm so jealous.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

pricetl
06-04-2004, 04:58 AM
This thread is from last year...but I thought I'd try to post to anyway. We are planning to go to Oahu in September. OUr kids will be 3 and 1 1/2. Planning is overwhleming. I don't want to spend too much on the hotel, but want a decent pool for kids. The only hotel I've found with a kiddie pool is the Hilton Hawaiin Village...more than I want to pay. Any advice? I expect that we will basically stay at or near the hotel most of the time, maybe some morning outings. Any good websites or travel guides that are specific to travelling with toddlers? I have searched the web, but haven't found anything that helpful.

thanks
tracy