PDA

View Full Version : train travel

pearl
05-10-2003, 11:27 PM
We are planning a train trip from So California to Washington, either Vancouver or Seattle, this July with our son who will be 15 months old when we go. Does anyone have any general advice about train travel with a toddler and suggestions about where to go, stay and see on our journey up the West Coast? This is our first big trip with our ds and I'm not sure what to expect.

elf
05-12-2003, 06:45 PM
What a great trip! Are you stopping off at various sites on the way, or just going straight through?

Santa Barbara is of course a wonderful place, with good tourist-friendly walking areas adjacent to hotels and I think nearish the station. And that whole section of the trip is right on the coast.

Seattle has a terrific aquarium, plus it's fun to walk along the Wharf/Pier areas. I always wanted to take the ferry to Victoria, but it never worked out. Still, you can take one of the other ferries for an inexpensive, amusing boat ride, while everyone else is commuting.

pearl
05-15-2003, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the advice. The original plan is to stop along the way and spend a day or two at scenic, relaxing areas such as SB. Going straight to WA is also something we are considering, but we would prefer to stop along the way.

Joel
05-22-2003, 01:09 AM
If you go to Santa Barbara be absolutely sure to visit the zoo. It is small, beautiful and more like a park than a zoo. They have a great small train that goes around the grounds which is great for kids.

Joel
05-22-2003, 01:10 AM
I've found trains to be great for toddlers. Lots of people and other kids to interact with, scenery to view and none of the locked-down aspect of sitting in a car seat. My son has gone on a couple of train rides in Europe and they were all quite easy.