PDA

View Full Version : Toronto with toddler

RhondaSue
05-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Has anyone been to Toronto recently with a toddler? I am going at the end of June with family and friends, but dd will be the youngest one on the trip. I have a feeling I may be entertaining her on my own, I don't think she's going to enjoy the Hockey Hall of Fame, etc. Any suggestions as to hotels and activities would be appreciated. Thanks!

KathyO
05-19-2004, 03:39 PM
http://www.torontolife.ca/cityguide/category.cfm?category_id=7

Check out the "Destinations" and "Indoor Play Spaces" sections. The Centreville Amusement Park listed under Destinations is on Toronto Island... the ferry ride is nice and short, but lots of fun, and the island is a wonderful, breezy refuge on those stinkin' hot days when the whole city turns into one big steam cooker. There is a gigantic Loblaws (grocery store) on Front Street not far from the ferry terminal where you can stock up on picnic stuff. (Do be aware that Hanlon's Beach is clothes-optional, but the island is a very quiet, kid-appropriate place nevertheless.) Even if you skip the modest "amusement park", there are lots of open spaces for running around, and play areas, and so on.

Another beachy place is The Beaches... jump on the Queen Streetcar, go east, and walk a block or two south once you get off. Tree-sheltered play spaces, a boardwalk, and then, well, beach. The Queen East neighbourhood is also quite stroller-friendly, although the sidewalks can be crowded on weekends.

Ontario Place has a water play park that's a lot of fun, although a bit of a rigamarole to get to via transit. Canada's Wonderland, north of the city, is popular as well, although a bit more like a conventional amusement park.

Pick up a free copy of the "City Parent" newspaper when you get there, if you see one - that can be a great guide to specific events and whatnot.

I hope this gives you some jumping-off points - I'd arrange to come into Toronto and meet you, but I'll be out west in in-law-land when you come! Rats!

Best,

KathyO

RhondaSue
05-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks so much for the website! The indoor play areas would really come in handy, especially if it is raining.

I had read a little about the islands in Fodor's and thought they might be worth checking out, so I'll definitely have to put them on the list.

It is too bad that you won't be in town, I'm traveling with mostly boys so a female face would be a nice change!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

Rhonda