PDA

View Full Version : what to do about little ears on the plane?

alaska
07-13-2004, 07:38 PM
eli will be 20 months when we fly from Juneau to Boston. He's not nursing anymore, and doesn't use bottles. Any advice re: what I can do to alleviate/prevent ear pain?
thanks
amy

hjdong
07-13-2004, 10:56 PM
We used cut up raisins on our flights - because they're chewy - but be careful how many (we allowed free access - not a good policy)! I think also a sippy cup or a straw cup would do the trick. Either the raisins worked really well, or the change in pressure didn't bother DS.

cara1
07-14-2004, 03:25 PM
On the way down we did raisins, too. But I don't think he cared. On the way back, he fell asleep before takeoff, and we woke him when we landed!!

alaska
07-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - I think I'll bring raisins & pray for sleep!

kelly ann
07-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Does he take a pacifier? If so, try having him suck on that during the ascent and descent.

raynjen
07-30-2004, 10:40 AM
On our last big flight (actually 1 extremely long, 2 short, and 1 medium length flights) when Noelle was about 29 months we used 'Ring Pops' to help her with equalizing her ears. Those are the lollipops that are fastened to a ring. Keep plenty of wipes on hand as the sticky tends to spread. We also found that straws worked well (Just ask the steward/ess to bring you a coffee cup with lid and straw.)

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 3/4)
Architect in a previous life!