PDA

View Full Version : Williamsburg in February?

joyful mommy
01-30-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm new at posting in Toddler Bargains but have recently realized that some of the information/postings here are already relevant to our family as our DS fast reaches new milestones. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice about going to Williamsburg in February. It seems to be a fairly mild winter, around the area so we're hoping it will be OK for lots of walking around and seeing the sights.

Our timing is sort of fixed this year. We were looking for a place to go where we could let our active 16 mo. old DS run around some and enjoy being outside -- which he loves!

Suggestions of other locations to visit in that general area or within a few hours from there would also be welcome. Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

mom2aidan
02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
We were just at Williamsburg during the first week of February and we loved it. The weather was mild, on our first night it was in the 60s and the next 2 nights, it was more around 50s. We were there from Feb 3rd to Feb. 6th. Our DS is 20 month old and we took him to Jamestown, which is mostly outdoor. It's also right by the water so it can get very cool. It's a great place to walk around and just enjoy the tours and sceneries. We also took him to the Virgina Air and Space Center in Hampton which is about half an hour drive from Williamsburg. There's so much to see at the Air and Space Center so you should allocate a day for that. And this is a great indoor activity so if it's raining or too cold outside it will be a great option. We also went to see the Chesapeake bridge on our way back to NJ.
Enjoy your trip!

joyful mommy
02-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply! Looks like it will be a little cooler than your week, but hopefully still nice.

The Air & Space Museum sounds great for the cold or possibly wet day -- thanks so much for that suggestion. :)

Did you go to Yorktown and Jamestown? I'm not really clear on what there is to do at either of those two destinations . . . ? We thought we'd try to find out though.

Do you have a suggestion on a place to stay there? We're looking at a couple of options, but need to decide quickly. I'd appreciate any input here -- we're thinking that DS will probably be napping each afternoon after lunch, so we're wondering if a suite-type room or condo would be best???

Glad you had a great time! We're looking forward to it! :)

MelissaTC
02-16-2006, 11:09 AM
We went in October and stayed at the Homewood Suites. It was a nice hotel and we loved being able to put DS to sleep and watch tv in the living room.

We also took a trip to the children's museum in Portsmouth, VA. It is a drive but worth it. DS LOVED it!! The area is not that great but you basically park in the garage and walk out into the museum.

Have fun! We love Williamsburg and have season passes for Busch Gardens so we will be back there in the spring.

mom2aidan
02-17-2006, 11:07 AM
We stayed at the Powhattan Plantation. We rented a 2 bedroom unit with kitchen and hot tub. It was cheap--spent about $300 for 4 days and 3 nights. My DS enjoyed it there since he has so much space to run around and also he loves opening and closing doors so there were many doors for him to play with. It kept him very busy. The unit was nice that we can even stay in the whole day and our DS won't be bored. They also have a playground and indoor swimming pool.
The only thing that I wish they would do is clean up the place more. The rugs were a little bit stained and so are the sheets. We brought our own pack n play so I would suggest to do the same.

We didn't have the time to go to Yorktown but I know it's quite a popular destination there as well.

Enjoy your trip!