PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Need advice on flying with 20 month old.

debh2005
04-24-2006, 09:53 PM
I am traveling alone with DS. He is 20 months old 29lbs, 35-36inches (size of average 27 month old boy).
There are no nonstop flights to Tallahassee from Chicago.
We are on 2 90 minute flights with a 90 minute layover.
I bought him his own seat for all flights.
We do not need a car seat when we get there. My sister will pick us up and has a Marathon (her son is turning 1) that will be ready for DS.
The only reason to consider bringing one is for inflight.

Should I bring our Marathon for the flights or just have DS in the seat with lap belt?

I think he will kick the seat in front if we have him forward facing (he kicks the front pass seat in my MDX all the time).

I am 27 weeks pregnant and DH is not able to come so no help lugging the Marathon (I have considered the backpack attachment from OSAhead).
Plus with the layovers I would have to install 4 times! Not to mention trying to take him to the bathroom with it.

I cannot find much info about my situation except that FAA recommends the seat until 40 lbs.
Does anyone have any experience like this or thoughts or ideas???

Thanks,

WooChx
04-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I've heard that a few airlines can provide a car seat. I would check with yours and ask if he can be just strapped into the seat. Don't forget that they don't have the 5-PT harness so he will probably be able to wiggle out.

You could try a Baby B'Ait in flight vest. Carried at www.onestepahead.com

I have a cheap Walmart (and/or Target) COSCO seats. They run about $40 or you can find one on your local www.craigslist.org possibly even for free. They are very light and can easily be worn like a backpack.

You could also purchase Go-Go wheels for your marathon, do a google search for them.

I recommend bringing a portable dvd to keep him occupied (JetBlue includes them). This may help with the kicking. New ones are as low as $100, but you may have a friend you could just borrow from.

Good luck!

debh2005
04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I might try and borrow my neighbor's dvd.
I decided to play it safe and bought the Pac Back from one step ahead to carry the seat on my back. He is more likely to sit still in his car seat and will be more comfortable too.