PDA

View Full Version : Travel bed or bed rails

jennmw
08-11-2006, 11:26 AM
So, we went to my brothers this past weekend and brought the pack n play for our 2 year old son to sleep in. Well that is the last time for that, he is too big.

So, now this fall we will be traveling a lot and staying in hotels. He is still in his crib at home and aren't sure what to do. I like those travel beds on one step ahead's website but for one he is still in a crib and I'm not sure he'll stay put and they seem narrom he usually ends up sleeping horizontally.

So, we were thinking of getting a couple of those bedrails to bring with us. Anyone have any suggestions?

rlu
08-14-2006, 06:03 PM
We're traveling soon and not taking our pnp. DS is also still in his crib. We're hoping the hotel will have one, but if not, we're planning to put DS down on the floor to sleep in a sleeping bag (which I think DH plans to buy there). ACK! I'm a little (lot) worried about this, but figure we'll toddler-proof as best we can (I'll be bringing those plastic inserts for the electrical outlets). We've stayed at a hotel with DS once before as a toddler (had our pnp that time as we drove) and he went to sleep fairly quickly when we turned out the lights and all pretended to go to sleep at his bedtime. Crossing my fingers.

Sorry, not much help am I?

jennmw
08-15-2006, 08:27 AM
LOL, thanks for replying. We ended up buying some travel bed rails so we are hoping for the best.

rlu
08-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Which rails did you get? I'm not convinced DH's sleeping bag plan is going to work out real well and we'll be traveling for a week so after the first night, I may be searching TRU/BRU/Walmart/etc.

jennmw
08-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I got the Regalo bed rails at Target, they were 3 inches higher than the others and they come with a travel bag.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_7/601-7323751-5940155?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000CSEE48

rlu
08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks. I'm printing out the target page to tuck into my suitcase.

rlu
09-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Wondering if you have used the bedrails yet and if so, happy with them?

jennmw
09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
We bought one and I can tell you that you will not want to take them apart, they are a pain to put together. We left it together and its kind of bulky and akward. We are trying it out this weekend, will let you know.

rlu
09-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks, will look for your update.

jennmw
09-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Well it's a no go. They give you a travel bag to put it in but you have to take it apart and it took us forever to put it together. So, we left it together and it was just too awkward. We ended up rolling up blankets to put on the side of him which worked good.

Kathryn
09-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I purchased a toddler inflatable bed at Target for my two year old DD (rather than bed rails) and it has worked great. The sides come up a bit higher so it is more difficult to roll out. Also, the cover is detachable and washable-- in a sense, it is a sleeping back and air mattress in one! We have used it for the past 8 months for frequent trips and it is still in good condition-- She likes her "special bed"

Kathy

momtoB
09-05-2006, 10:03 PM
I've seen the child size aero bed recommended. It has a raised edge that creates a small "bumper" so a child won't just roll off.

Ready beds can be found at Target, Walmart with your childs favorite character.

You could also look around for a rental company that rents baby gear in the city you are traveling too (bigger cities are more likely to have companies that offer these services obviously). One site I have seen is www.babysaway.com

hth!