PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been to Puerto Rico or St. Thomas with or w/out child?

GreekGddss
04-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi, all!! I'm so glad to see this forum!! I just spent 2 hours (DS is napping) looking ups Puerto Rico and St. Thomas for a possible vacation this summer... Hubby is a prinicpal and we can't really travel during the school year. Want somewhere warm and beach-y--and someplace where our two-year-old son will have fun. Also, don't feel like going anywhere international--otherwise we'd go to Greece and visit our families.

So, if anyone has any suggestions either pro or against either of the aforementioned places, please let me know!

Kelly

meghna88
08-04-2007, 06:54 PM
have traveled extensively, europe, hawaii, jamaica, mexico and have to say that peurto rico is one of my faves! esp san juan and there is also a fab hotel called 'conquistador' in fajardo...where you can see one corner of the bermuda triagle...love peurto rico and can't wait to go back..also there are rainforests there...could even go and relax with a child...tons of variety of low key or outdoorsy or night life

klyama
01-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Haven't been to Puerto Rico, but have been the Virgin Islands before. Personally, I like St. Croix better than St. Thomas, but travelling with children I think that St. Thomas might be a better bet. It's a beautiful island, but it does cater to the tourists and cruise trade in the main cities.

You might also consider Bermuda. I've been several times and really like it a lot. There's a lot to do and the island is small and very easy to get around.

JoyNChrist
01-21-2008, 04:48 AM
I've been to both St. Thomas and Puerto Rico, and although both are nice, Puerto Rico is my favorite hands down (actually, it's one of my all-time favorite vacation destinations). So much different stuff to do. However, I've never been with a child, so I don't know much about that.

ThreeofUs
01-21-2008, 10:05 AM
We were in St. Thomas, and know a really great little resort there - very family-friendly. (PM me for the name, I have to search it out!) We were also at other resorts there (incl the Ritz) and found them to be, well, a little overdone. Also, the island caters to the luxury crowd, and we found it somewhat more pricey than other places.

Frankly, there are other islands in the Carib that are much better for laid-back, family-style vacations. Depends what you want, but check out St. John's and St. Lucia.

Tondi G
01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Been to both on our Honeymoon! we left from PR and stayed a couple of extra days at the Dorado Beach Hyatt which I highly recommend!!! The buildings are 2 story with either a patio or a balcony... then about 15 feet of grass with hammocks strung between the palms and then the beach. There is a rock water break so the waves are minimal.... so great for kids! They have a sister property and run a trolley between them. The sister hotel has a lazy river type pool area and a waterslide. We had a fantastic stay there!

St Thomas was our favorite stop on our cruise too! We went to Cokie Beach and it was great. Again would be wonderful for kids and there is an aquarium kinda thing adjacent to there. The water was SOOOO clear you could see your feet with no problems. We rented some snorkels and fins and the guys gave us a couple of dog bones... we stuck them in the water and within seconds were surrounded by tropical fish!!!

Ahhh I wanna go to St Thomas again!!!!

~Tondi

diegosmom
04-07-2008, 08:53 PM
We have family in PR and have traveled both without and with child since he was less than 3 months old. It is wonderful and has great beaches. San Juan is also worth spending some time in. El conquistador is very nice but can get pricey. You may want to consider renting a beach apartment in or near Luquillo or Rio Mar. They you get a kitchen and seperate bedrooms. It is also very close to El Yunque (the rainforest) and worth a day trip. Depends on your budget and how many are traveling with you. I find traveling with my son, husband and usually other family members (ie mom, aunt or cousins) makes staying in a hotel room difficult.