PDA

View Full Version : When you travel

hillview
07-12-2007, 05:25 PM
If you have 2 children what sort of room set up (hotel) do you try to get? We will be traveling with a toddler and infant and wondering what tips folks have!
thanks,
/hillary

bluestar2
07-12-2007, 05:38 PM
but most of the time we didn't bother.

egoldber
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Our ideal set up is a 1 bedroom suite that has two beds and an available crib/pack n play. Then we can put Sarah and Amy to bed and still be able to stay up in the main living area.

Our second fav arrangement is a King bed + crib/PnP + a rollaway/pullout sofabed. Fortunately Sarah is a sound sleeper and once she is really asleep we can turn on the TV and have light conversation with minimal lighting.

I have only seen one hotel crib that I was thought was dangerous in any way out of many, many trips. Usually when you ask for a crib its a PnP anyway.

SnuggleBuggles
07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Suites. I like to be able to stay up later than my ds!

For a little baby that can sleep through anything then they could be in the same room.

I admit to getting worried about ds being in the outside room (even after I child proof and barricade the door with coffee table and noisy toys so I know if someone tries to come in...or out) because if he cries I worry the sound would carry more around the hotel via the hall.

Beth

Marisa6826
07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Depends on what your sleeping arrangements are and how well your kids sleep.

When they were little, we could get away with one room, using the kid Aero bed.

Now that they're older, we usually get two adjoining rooms, if we can. If not, then a suite is a must (unless you want to go to bed at 8pm!). One kid goes with each parent, so neither of us is outnumbered. ;) It also greatly helps having two TVs, two bathrooms, etc.

We most recently tested this out a few weeks ago at my BIL's wedding. Sophie and Jonathan got the room with 2 double beds, Mia and I got the room with the King. Since Mia is still in a crib, I don't trust her to not fall out of bed, so we brought the kid Aero for her. Normally, I don't have to lay down with them to get them to sleep. But in a hotel situation, I do lay down with Mia till she falls asleep, then get in my own bed.

Yes, it's more expensive to do two rooms, but it's worth every penny when you consider sleep and sanity. ;)

-m

Gena
07-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Get a room with at least a fridge and microwave, idealy with a kitchenette. And have a small stash of whatever food you might need on hand (baby food, toddler favorites, snacks, drinks) along with a few kitchen supplies (plates, cups, dishsoap, etc). If you're traveling by car it's easy to bring stuff from home; if flying hit a supermarket after you get there. Kids get hungry at the most unpredictable times when traveling and it's great to be able to feed them in the room instead of finding a kid friendly resturant late at night.

Last winter, we went on a trip with my MIL, Hubby's sibs and their kids to visit some of Hubby's relatives. MIL and SIL made fun of the fact that I brought "my whole kitchen" (as they called it). But when all the kids got hungry at 2 am, Hubby and I prepared a light meal in our warm hotel room while MIL and SIL had to run to a fast food place in the freezing cold.